Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aside from Upstate and Western NY....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aside from Upstate and Western NY....

First off, HELLO to ALL!!!

I've recently joined this board and noticed the majority of Crappie fishermen are from western & southern areas. Are there any Crappie fishermen (within NYC) on this board? I normally fish waters in Westchester County (resevoirs etc.) and have fished (count on 2 hands) Saratoga Lake, etc. I've also ice fished Lake Taconic as well (really good Crappie, Gill and Pike fishing during the winter).

Just wondering if there are any "locals" that are members of this board.

Glad I came across this forum. Hope to learn and share a great deal.

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Member "EZRider" is from NYC and does pretty well chasing crappie around your area. You might want to hit him with a PM and get some discussion going.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    Member "EZRider" is from NYC and does pretty well chasing crappie around your area. You might want to hit him with a PM and get some discussion going.

Joe
    Thanks Joe!

Will do.

Vern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has to be others from NYC...

Wow, guess I'm the only Crappie fisherman to frequent this site :o

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!!

The NY board has always been pretty low traffic - made it easy for me to volunteer to be the moderator, but there are a few of us that post when we have something to report. EddieRod has been having some success and has posted some photos. He's not too far away from me, but I need my big boat in the water to get to where he's been fishing.

I've been out on a local pond in my jonboat a couple times, but have only caught a few - water temps still in the low 50's. Nothing to really write about until the action picks up.

Actually, there is something cool I can share - the pond I fish now has a nesting pair of Bald Eagles. I noticed a big nest a couple weeks ago and wondered if it was an osprey or eagle nest, then this past weekend I watched an eagle catch a fish and fly right up to the nest, so now I know who lives there and who I'm sharing my fishing hole with. I've seen them fishing the pond several times over the last two years, and now there is a pair nesting there. I grew up having only ever seen bald eagles in zoos or on TV, so seeing wild eagles is something I get a kick out of. Its great to see that they've made such a strong comeback that I now often see one at least every week or two, all around the area. I guess there are several nests in the Montezuma Refuge and a couple more along the Seneca River, so they're doing well really well around here. I'm half tempted to pick up some 35mm film and pull my old SLR out of the basement so I can use the long-lens to get some photos this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!!

The NY board has always been pretty low traffic - made it easy for me to volunteer to be the moderator, but there are a few of us that post when we have something to report. EddieRod has been having some success and has posted some photos. He's not too far away from me, but I need my big boat in the water to get to where he's been fishing.

I've been out on a local pond in my jonboat a couple times, but have only caught a few - water temps still in the low 50's. Nothing to really write about until the action picks up.
    Same here. Weather has been crappy (no pun intended) and I'm ready to do some fishing. Today seems to be nice and I hope it continues! My father went out yesterday and caught close to 30 Crappies. It's usually early morning or late afternoon when they really bite.

I'll post some pics (hopefully) the next time I go.

Actually, there is something cool I can share - the pond I fish now has a nesting pair of Bald Eagles. I noticed a big nest a couple weeks ago and wondered if it was an osprey or eagle nest, then this past weekend I watched an eagle catch a fish and fly right up to the nest, so now I know who lives there and who I'm sharing my fishing hole with. I've seen them fishing the pond several times over the last two years, and now there is a pair nesting there. I grew up having only ever seen bald eagles in zoos or on TV, so seeing wild eagles is something I get a kick out of. Its great to see that they've made such a strong comeback that I now often see one at least every week or two, all around the area. I guess there are several nests in the Montezuma Refuge and a couple more along the Seneca River, so they're doing well really well around here. I'm half tempted to pick up some 35mm film and pull my old SLR out of the basement so I can use the long-lens to get some photos this summer.
    Cool! ... what speed film do you use? Anything 200 and above should work well. If you happen to take photos, post em :p

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing lately from me Joe...The spot where we go has shut down quite a bit. My buddy's been out during the week and wether its temp. or lower water levels Its not been the same. Looking foward to getting to camp in a few weeks and start hitting them there, will be posting soon....I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FBM357 View Post
    Cool! ... what speed film do you use? Anything 200 and above should work well. If you happen to take photos, post em :p
    If I end up going the 35mm route, I'll use 400 or maybe even 800. With the long lens, and a doubler thrown in for good measure, I'll need the speed to get good exposure at long range. Kinda hesitant to take it out in the boat, will need to be nice weather for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieRod View Post
    Nothing lately from me Joe...The spot where we go has shut down quite a bit. My buddy's been out during the week and wether its temp. or lower water levels Its not been the same. Looking foward to getting to camp in a few weeks and start hitting them there, will be posting soon....I hope!
    So far this spring sucks for weekend fishing. Finally a nice day tomorrow, and I'll be taking down trees from along our driveway all day

Post Thanks / Like

So far this spring sucks for weekend fishing. Finally a nice day tomorrow, and I'll be taking down trees from along our driveway all day
    Yes, the spring downright sucks!!!! when it's nice, I'm at work. When I want to plan something, there's always rain and wind in the forecast!!! I'm bout ready to go to the local Petlands Discount and drop a line in one of the fishtanks! .. LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast