Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Darned wind...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Darned wind...

I had the boat in position to go to the lake this morning, but as I sat at the computer at 5 waiting for light I began to hear the wind chimes on the prorch sing. If these babies make noise at all, boat fishing is not likely. So I waited and sure enough...pretty steady 30 to 34 mph blow going on, so I did a shore shot. That was about as functional as boat fishing would have been. I had to try though.

The overnight temps were mild...coming in at 44 for a low and the forecast calls for 70 today in spite of the blow. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be similar, but warmer...74...and less windy.

I wasn't in the company of the skunk today as I did get a few nice smallies to come play. The wind and a 9 foot rod are just not good enough company to allow me to get the bait where the crappies most likely were located. Man....the boat will be a welcomed approach.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah the wind stinks to fish in, but it is cleaning the ice off the lakes though!
    What is in my bucket today?
    http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

Rrrrrr...I am on the lake, and thats all the crappies need to know!

Michael Thompson
    Gem Kids Fishing Camp and Club
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

I went again this morning and found some crappies in the 10-1/2 inch range before the sun hit the water. As soon as the sun topped the hills, the crappie bite went south. Smallies nagged me again to and I got 5 in about 15 minutes up to around 18 inches.

What with this wind, I'm getting tired of it blowing sand in my mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

The wind did its job, now it can calm down!

What is in my bucket today?
    http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

Rrrrrr...I am on the lake, and thats all the crappies need to know!

Michael Thompson
    Gem Kids Fishing Camp and Club
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

I put the boat on the water this morning and after some "fun issues" managed to lasso a few crappies.

My trolling motor battery was charged on Tuesday, but seemed to be down some early today so I tossed it back on the charger while I got Ma to work and the boat hooked up to the van. The little boost had the meter reading a-ok. At the lake things were different. I pulled up to spot #1 and dropped the bow-mount and hit the foot controlonly to have the battery make evil noises and start to hiss and blow foam out around the positive post. Apparently it decided it was going to rebel after 7 years, so I was down to control with the 20 horse.

The wind wasn't too bad at first, but within two hours it gained strength and boat control headed south....so did I.

I'm not certain how many I caught, but they seemed to be in two general areas a world apart from each other. Water of at least 17 feet had numbers of crappies working some submerged wood and this was where I caught the majority of the fish. I tried some secluded wood in the water in around 5 feet of water and was instantly met with a nice 13"er. The next four casts had crappies attached....then it was over.

The surface temp today over the deeper water was a balmy 53.2 degrees at 9 AM. At the 10 foot depth, the water temp was riding about 10 degrees cooler. I could mark crappies near the bottom that would absolutely sail up to hit my paddletail under a float at 7 feet. Every hit on the deep water was an upward hit.

The lake I am fishing is actually a reservoir and we had some high water a few weeks ago.....about 5 feet higher than summer pool. The tree-related wood, lumber and tires along with tons of other floating debris has manifested itself on the lower portion of the lake near the dam. The public access there is virtually impassable. I have no idea what is going to happen regarding it all. Its a mess for sure.

I'll be off the water after tomorrow morning's jaunty until next week....Tuesday. Family weekend now.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprise, surprise....I just got a few pics of the public landing taken late today and the wind did a great job of moving the wood. I can't say where it went, but in this case out of sight, out of mind.