Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawn?

I know this is always a shot in the dark, but I'm curious to hear from the guys (and gals) south of me, when you anticipate the heat of the spawn to take place on Truman, LOZ, etc........ we've all chased these buggers around enough to know that weather, water levels, etc. can drastically change the timeframe, so I'm just looking for a gut read.

I'll start.......... since Twain is my home lake, and should warm a bit faster that Truman and LOZ, I would anticipate the third week in April for things to really get crankin..... definitely the lower end with the South Fork being the first arm to take off.

Thoughts?

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me Smithville is always last. May???

Post Thanks / Like

While environmental factors can affect the spawn, most fish rely on the length of day to get them going. Water temperature has an effect but it is usually to make the spawn more drawn out. A couple years ago at Smithville the spawn started at it's usual last week of April, but I still caught spawning crappie off the banks on Memorial Day weekend. A sudden rise in water level may cause the fish to re-establish nesting sites depending on the degree of the rise and the how muddy the water gets. At Smithville a few years back the fish were in 2 feet of water and then the lake came up 4 feet. The Corps had to hold the water due to downstream flooding and the lake didn't get too muddy so the fish stayed put and spawned in 6 feet of water. We spawned walleye at Lost Valley Hatchery last week and the fish we used were collected below Truman. Water temp was right at 40 which is pretty cold for spawning to take place, yet the fish were in there getting after it.

Post Thanks / Like

How long does a spawn usually last?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here on Truman I have seen the spawn

last for 8 weeks, usually 4-6 is the more norm, I will fish for spawning crappie, but never keep them....... Crappie fishing is a year around sport here in mid missouri, that is why I like to fish year around, with last winter being the exceptition (long and cold)..... going around the different ramps during spawn and seeing looks like 100's of vehicle's out after spawning crappie makes me wonder how we have any thing left to fish for........ but some think that is the only time to fish for them....... kinda like shooting a bear coming after some honey.........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen spawns go hot and heavy for about a week and then stop with some hot spots here and there, but I have also seen a spawn last 3-4 weeks, it really all depends how fast they get after it.

MOfish hit on some good points and I have seen the same things on Twain.... 2 years ago when the lake was 25+ above normal, most of the fish still spawned, while some actually just dumped their eggs........ but the spawning took place in 8 feet of water where they had made their beds prior to the last jump in the lake.

Another factor to take into consideration is where you are fishing on your particular lake. Rivers seem to warm the latest, which usually dictates a later spawn than the main lake (in my opinion). Even then, certain areas that receive more sunlight and less cold water runoff will kick off, even if they are just on the other side of the channel.

I guess that's why they call it fishin and not catchin huh?

Maybe my initial post was worded too serious...........although this is great discussion.... I was just curious when ya'll think things will bust loose on your respective lakes?

OSS, I feel your pain......... I can't tell you the number of times I have seen the ramps loaded with trailers and once on the water, it's hard to find some water to yourself. Not to mention watching boat after boat showing off their catch of 8 & 9" fish and put the knife to them. Really makes you wish for a length limit, especially on the "smaller lakes".

While it is fun to catch the pigs, I will almost always try to keep fish for the freezer from summer pattern on, once I am almost certain they have reproduced.

Funny how some just don't understand.......
    Last edited by Route U; 03-30-2010 at 10:13 AM.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t think it matters how many fish you keep during the spawn. That’s why there are rules and we have great people like MOfishmgr working hard for us. It about management. I think it’s a little presumptuous to think we could catch all the spawning crappie out of any lake especially Truman but throw back all you want. Your choice. Not trying to make anyone mad, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep all you like

I am not saying that, there management of Truman has certaintly worked here on Truman, seems to get better every year for them big old boys that I like chasing......... I love fishing for spawners with a cork just to watch it go under....... I keep a few once awhile......... so don't go taking this the wrong way........ I am usually to dam lazy to clean them anyway.............
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Well the warmer weather might get things back to normal pace...I thought it would be late this year still might be. But I think at LOZ the spawn will be end of April like normal. We fished april 18th last year and we were too early for the spawn by a good week, and had cold rainy nasty weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    I am not saying that, there management of Truman has certaintly worked here on Truman, seems to get better every year for them big old boys that I like chasing......... I love fishing for spawners with a cork just to watch it go under....... I keep a few once awhile......... so don't go taking this the wrong way........ I am usually to dam lazy to clean them anyway.............
    Have to agree with you olesilverside. Fishing with a bobber and watching it disappear takes the cake. it is the best time of year to take a kid with you also. I try only to keep what I will eat in a week. can always stock freezer later.
    My guess on when would be april 26th. Should be full moon. Now a couple nice cold fronts can take care of that though.
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast