Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Ranger 350 V

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1985 Ranger 350 V

Hello,

I am interested in this boat a guy is selling...It is a 1985 Ranger 350 V with a 1986 Mecury XR2 Black Max {150 hp}.....The boat looks in excellent shape...Ony thing I am concerned about is the engine...It is 20 years old plus....Even if the engine runs well?...It is still 20 years old plus....Should I take a chance on it?...It is only $4,500.00?...I probably should have it checked out by a boat mechanic first....I would appreciate anyones opinions..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Take Care
    Bye

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of motors older than that still running strong. Mine is an 83 Black Max and still runs good athough hard to start at first on cold mornings. But that is typical of those older Merc. But yes, have it checked by someone that knows what to look for.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcd
    Hello,

I am interested in this boat a guy is selling...It is a 1985 Ranger 350 V with a 1986 Mecury XR2 Black Max {150 hp}.....The boat looks in excellent shape...Ony thing I am concerned about is the engine...It is 20 years old plus....Even if the engine runs well?...It is still 20 years old plus....Should I take a chance on it?...It is only $4,500.00?...I probably should have it checked out by a boat mechanic first....I would appreciate anyones opinions..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Take Care
    Bye

jcd...you can find some good deals on used boats, but like you said the motor should be your primary concern. If I were buying it, I'd have a mech check it out before I paid the guy. It would be money well spent to have the compression, fuel pump, and other vital functions checked out to be sure of it's reliability. I hope it checks out ok, the price seems reasonable. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi IBNFSHN,

I am going send you a picture of the boat to your email address..

jeremy
    thanks
    take care
    bye

Post Thanks / Like

Hi LaBill,

I sent you a few pictures of the ranger to your email addres...Check them out...I probably will go check out the boat....Plus see if we can work something out on having the engine checked out..

jeremy
    thanks
    bye

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  d-bass_boat_and_shelves_1005050_002.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  84.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The post before this one is a picture of the boat..I will try to post another one..Name:  d-bass_boat_and_shelves_1005050_003.jpg
Views: 7412
Size:  102.4 KB

Jeremy
    Bye
    Last edited by jcd; 12-26-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

jcd......the webmaster kicked the reply back to me three times, stating the email adress has a fatal error, but I can tell you here as easy as emailing.

The boat and motor looks good, like it has been cared for over the years, but for my peace of mind, I'd have the Merc checked out just to be sure. Better to know it's condition now than after the sale!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I migth go check it out this week?...Looks like a real good boat...I called the guy on the phone he said he took it out last month....He said it ran really good..But, for sure I will have a boat mechanic look at before I transfer any money to him..

jeremy
    thanks
    bye

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a compression check, and a check of the lower unit oil condition would give you a good heads up on the condition. Any good mechanic could do the compression check and the lower unit oil should have no metal filings or chips, and not have any indication of water in the oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast