PDA

View Full Version : gas tank question?

XMAN
12-26-2005, 07:47 AM
I have a new boat,G3 with a 150 4 stroke, i've noticed that i have a strong odor of gas when i open the compartments next to the gas tank which is plastic,is this normal? I keep the plug out to see if anything leaks onto the garage floor but so far nothing and the level seams the same in the tank?

FishHunter
12-26-2005, 08:09 AM
I have the same problem with my 2004 Triton. Checked all the fittings numerous times and everything was fine. I also have a Plastic Gas Tank. Till I can solve the problem I have been leaving the back hatch open during storage. I also get a fume build up in my Rod Locker so my concern is that my mono line will absorb the fumes & break down prematurely. Hope somebody out there has an answer. FishHunter

Barnacle Bill
12-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Check all your hose clamps. Especially if they are the metal type. If tightened too much, they can cause a crack (even in a new hose) in the hose which is hard to see. You shouldn't have a strong odor of gas. Something is leaking somewhere. Also be sure your vent is clear and goes to the outside of the boat.

sinkum
12-26-2005, 08:56 AM
like ibnfshn said i would check my vents i have seen
boats that are not vented to the outside of the hull
if they are fairly new boats i wouldnt think you would
have a leaking tank maybe a bad hose but i would bet
it is the vent

crappieseeker
12-26-2005, 09:19 AM
I have had mine for a year now, and the smell hasnt gone away. I havent found anything leaking anywhere. I havent had trouble with my line breaking down prematurely either.

Shellback
12-26-2005, 10:54 AM
If you have access to the fuel gauge sender on top of the tank, check the screws for tightness. That's a big opening in the top of the tank, and has probably 8 to 12 screws holding it down. If there's a chance of anything leaking around the tank, that probably the most likely as the gasket might lose it's seal after being compressed awhile.

izzysfishin
12-26-2005, 11:29 AM
If you have access to the fuel gauge sender on top of the tank, check the screws for tightness. That's a big opening in the top of the tank, and has probably 8 to 12 screws holding it down. If there's a chance of anything leaking around the tank, that probably the most likely as the gasket might lose it's seal after being compressed awhile.
That was my problem. I could'nt even see any leaks. I got in there and stood on my head sniffing around. Tightened them up and have'nt had any more problems.