Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anchor Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchor Suggestions

I'm fairly new to crappie fishing but I'm hooked.I sold my Ski Nautique competition ski boat last summer and did something I have wanted to do for years.I bought a Tracker All Fish multi-species boat.I have every intention of trying some of the different ways of fishing for crappies that I hear you guys talking about on this board but right now I'm pretty much fishing visable brushpiles with a slip bobber and minnows until I get more confidence to try some other techniques.I'm catching a fair amount of fish but the biggest problem I have is getting my anchors to hold on the hard,clay bottom of the river I fish here in NW Ohio. The anchors I have right now are the rubber coated mushroom shaped (15 lbs.) There is just nothing on these anchors to grab ahold of the river bottom with.I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys on some different anchors to try.The tracker All Fish is 18' with a 86" beam and obviously aluminum so it's pretty light.The river I'm fishing has a maximum depth of around 14' .I'm usually trying to anchor in 6' to 10' of water.I would appreciate some comments.

Post Thanks / Like

you need an anchor with some hooks - I use fluke style anchors with 4 ft of 3/8 inch chain leading to my rope - also you will need about 3 times the length of rope as you are deep to get a good hold
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree

Crap-King does what I do. I keep two fluke-style anchors. One for the front and one for the back.
    I throw one out and let out the rope on it and tie it off. Then, I throw the other one, let out some of the rope on that end. Go to the other end and pull it until both ends are tight, then tie off that end again.
    That way I can get the boat tight and see/feel my bite. That's the key, getting the boat tight.
    The way I do it, it will stay tight. Even with wind or whatever, I don't usually have to adjust it anymore once it's set.
    Good luck!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I can sympathize with the anchor troubles. I usually fish out of an 18" bass boat, but bought a pontoon last year to take family and the kiddies out on. Couldn't find anything to hold that boat still on a windy day. Searched at Bass Pro and found this one:

Digger Anchor

It holds even with some 2' chop on the water. A quck jerk on the rope and it comes up clean. A little pricey but a great anchor. I have the 15lb model.