Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stick Steer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stick Steer

Looking for a new rig. I have always owned Rangers bass boats. But at this point due to work schedules and time off I am thinking of something smaller.
    First due to my middle of week days off I usually have to fish alone. I am tired of launching a big boat by myself. Next with gas prices where they are at and only going higher I want something more economical.
    Launching and recovering S/S looks a lot easier by your self than most boats.
    I mainly fish Sardis, Pickwick, Lakeview. I still want to bass fish but spend a good amount of time crappie fishing, about 50/50.
    Looking at the Triton 1657 S/S. I have never rode or fished out of a S/S. Will a boat of this size handle these lakes? The fishing looks easy but how is the ride?

Post Thanks / Like

The ride is pretty rough in the wind. That is the only drawback to me. It will beat you up pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ab824 View Post
    The ride is pretty rough in the wind. That is the only drawback to me. It will beat you up pretty good.
    Not only rough but also wet. Small lake and oxbows ok but 25 MPH winds and 22,000 acre lake, made me get a new boat ( as per a wet and cold wife). Nice not to have to move around to run the boat, TM etc in the stick steer. But on the other side, it also nice to be able to move around after in the new boat after 4-5 hours fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my stick steer. I have one on a Duracraft 16 footer. Have fished Grenada, Enid, and Ross Barnett with it without a problem. When we were fishing Crappie tournaments my partner and I used his fiberglass one week and my alum. the next. When the water was rough, we got wet in both of the boats. Would not trade it for any other kind. Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and they are all different. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

My SS boat is over 10 years old now. I bought it for the convenience of doing everthing from one spot. The first thing I missed was the raised casting deck from my previous boat. It seems the wind is more of a problem with a higher freeboard. The smarter I get, the smaller it gets because with wisdom comes more stuff. The newer ones are longer and wider plus the livewell is off set. That would be huge in my boat. But, I have really had a good time out of it. Since I do most of my fishing alone, I don't need anything else.
    I actually put a tiller type TM and have an extension to control it. I installed a "Big Foot" button so I don't have to twist the controls so much. When I am trolling, I keep the big motor about half way in the water. Then I can steer with it and just kick back (until a crappie jumps on a pole).
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

i got a 1648 tracker grizzly bass16 SS and have never been wet in it....it rides nose high and way out of the water...it does beat you up pretty good when its white capping but thats any alum. boat
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default S/s

Quote Originally Posted by ab824 View Post
    I owned one for 5 or 6 years and liked it for small waters. I fully agree with the above statement. I have lower back issues and it just had to go. Fishability is good, I had a PD minn kota that did a good job. If it aint welded, don't buy it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

for the reply's. I believe I will get one. I like to fish below the dams in the fall so I think this would be a good rig for that also instead of getting up and down all day. Has anyone fished out of the triton 1657 ss? It look large enough for 2 and with a 50 4s should move alright.

Post Thanks / Like

if i had it to do all over again i would go with the 754 from war eagle...everything is built in on the sides and the boat is nice and open....also will hold a 60hp....but i wouldnt go with a 4 stroke....i have a 25 four stroke and its the slowest motor i have ever had....just get a EFI
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff