HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No-Knot Fas-Snap

Sky Pilot is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No-Knot Fas-Snap

Just wondering what your thoughts are of the No-Knot Fas-Snap or something similar to attach the fly to the line. Couldn't find anything in the archives about it. It seems like a good idea in theory, but haven't tried them on the water yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's kind of a gimmick. I've always tied directly to the fly, and I don't know anybody who doesn't tie directly to the fly. (I know several local trout guides, and none of them use the "no knot" thing.)

I don't necessarily think they're bad. I just don't see a big advantage in using them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them on my crappie jigs, makes changing jigs quick and easy when you're trying to figure out what color jig the crappie want to eat. Before giving them a try, I was afraid the no-knot wouldn't hold up, but so far I've had no problems. I use 4 and 6 pound test line on my crappie reels and the medium size snaps.
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the middle of some of the best fly fishing east of the Mississippi. Nobody uses them.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you are fishing for, how big the flies you use are, and primarily, how good your eyesight is. Personally, I wouldn't use one on a dare, but a good friend of mine who can't see a barn from inside it almost has to - ties it to the leader at home under a reading light and goes from there. Don't condemn them - one day you might find them very beneficial.
    Hope not, though!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I use them. And, my brother uses them.

Post Thanks / Like

Think I`m going to try them , threading and tying knots little harder as I age.......
    do they effect the "action" of flies / bugs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Another user from Illinois. I sure wouldn't use them for trout, but bluegill they work. Like the other poster said, when trying to find the right fly and the right color, it's easy on and easy off.

Post Thanks / Like

I use small tippet rings with 2 to 3' of tippet. Tye the fly with a Davy knot is
    as easy as a fast snap without the weight affecting your cast. Snip the fly off the tippet line and tye a new fly on quick. When you wear down the tippet line, the ring makes it easy to tye on a new 3' piece. If you're casting into tight spots like structure, control can equal overall weight you are casting. Don't NOT not try something just because someone else doesn't use it.

Sky Pilot is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I may give them a try sometime, as my eyes are getting older and am having a hard time putting the line in the eye. Mostly going to bream fish so maybe it will be worth the trade off. Started tying my own flies and want to try several of them to see which ones I like best. Was hoping these may encourage trying different ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast