Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Alamo Tuesday n Wednesday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Alamo Tuesday n Wednesday

I drove 325 miles from San Diego over to Lake Alamo State Park on Monday. Willie, Hank and I fished Tuesday and Wednesday. We ended up with 4 fish to show for it.

As you can see, the lake is up and there is lots of flooded timber. That is where we expected to find the crappie but found no joy in the shallows. While the lake is up, it has been higher in the not too distant past:

Since we could not find any crappie up in the shallows, we decided to join the flotilla out in 20-30 feet of water. There are a considerable number of snags and slumps of submerged timber out there also: (We ended up donating a significant amount of tackle to the snag gods.)

Well, we joined them and we had the same results that they were getting, about 1 fish per hour. Here is Willie with the first fish:

If I am not mistaken, Lake Alamo was formed by daming the Bill Williams River. I believe this is the river mouth:

Since we can't catch fish, I guess we do a little sight seeing:

A couple of "scenic views;"

Here is what it looks like sitting 20 feet from the Dam in 85ft of water and looking back toward the lake:

I do not claim to be an expert crappie fisherman but I am no longer a novice either. We tried minnows in the shallows, we trolled with jigs at 3ft and 6ft, we varied trolling speed, we varied the jog colors, we put minnows on the jigs, we put crappie nibbles on the jigs, we ended up with 4 fish and I did not catch one of them. So I would have to say that in terms of fish caught, the 2010 edition did not match up with the 2006 and 2007 expeditions. However, in terms of enjoyment it was a rousing success. Fish or no fish, time on the water with friends is good.

They are going to close the lake down on 3 June so if you want to go, do it before then. My understanding is that you will still be able to access the water from BLM land but there won't be any improved launch ramps.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread and even better pics Jim.....sorry about the fishin but it sounds like ya'll had a good time despite the bad bite.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I cant believe they are closing Alamo. Are there any plans for the state to sell their facilities to a private company?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Alamo closing

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    I cant believe they are closing Alamo. Are there any plans for the state to sell their facilities to a private company?
    According to Bob La Londe at Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe
    There is a meeting in Wickenberg in April to talk about how to keep Alamo lake open.

The north side of the lake has a lot of places you can launch safely off the bank with a 4x4 if you take the time to wade out and make sure the bank doesn't make any sudden changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimeisaac View Post
    According to Bob La Londe at Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River
    Looks like the county, City of Wickenburg and AG&F are working to keep it open.
    Kingman Daily Miner Mobile

I dont know why this bothers me so much. Feels like they are trying to erase part of my childhood I guess.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I say two weeks and it should be very hot.Nice pics.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to help keep Lake Alamo open

I am cross posting this from Mr. Bob La Londe who is sysop at Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe, YumaBassMan

PLEASE COME TO SAVE THE ALAMO COMMUNITY MEETING AT:

WICKENBURG COMMUNITY CENTER
    APRIL 7TH AT 6:30PM.

JOINING BASS FISHERMEN AND WOMEN AS WELL AS AZ STATE PARKS DEPT AND THE AZ STATE PARKS FOUNDATION.IDEAS ON HOW TO KEEP ALAMO FROM CLOSING ON JUNE 3RD.THIS THE TIME TO TAKE ACTION AND SAVE THE ALAMO.STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND THIS MEETING. JOHN COOK 928-671-2058