Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scented Baits. Do They Work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scented Baits. Do They Work?

I've never been a believer of scented baits. I figured that will all the baits that are out in the market, most are created to attract the buyer more than the fish. So, never really gave it a thought.

Late last year Bill (Keeferfish) and I went out fishing. For bait, he was using Slab Busters (garlic scent) and I used regular tube jigs. As we were fishing, I noticed Bill was landing all the fish and I wasn't getting a bite. I figured he must had been in a better spot than I was or I wasn’t using the same colors or was fishing at the same depth. So again, didn't give it a thought.

As we kept moving to new spots, Bill was catching all the fish and I was getting skunked. To catch up with Bill and catch some fish I changed colors, changed presentation, changed debts, but still wasn’t getting a bite. Man, that was getting embarrassing.

We were at our last fishing spot for the day and I gave up on my tubes. I decided to put on some old Crappie Nibblets. Figured what the heck tried everything else, why not the Nibblets. I really don't like fishing with those things because it gets all over you when you unhook the fish. But with the day I was having, I didn't care if Nibblets got smeared all over me. I dropped the bait in and again I wasn't getting a bite. So, out of sympathy Bill offered me one of his Slab Busters. The first drop in the water - BAM! - hooked one. This continued until I lost the hook in the brush pile and we got too cold to fish.

Well, I got to say this taught me a lesson. Scents do really work. I know that I'll be looking at scented baits more that I did in the past. I also noticed on the internet that people make their own concoctions of scents they boil or marinate their baits in. Looks like a reoccurring natural scent is anise. Never heard of the stuff, but apparently people have been using it for years. Others scents I've read about are salt, garlic, vanilla, and broth. I was wondering if any of you make our own scents or what you thing about scented baits.
    Last edited by APKape; 03-25-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent question Alex. Our catch rates rose dramatically when we fished Slab busters with the garlic scent. Anise is a licorice scent. Bwillaub made some jigs over the winter and has used garlic scent. I think it makes a big difference. I'm sure if Bob sees your post he will chime in with lots better info on the scent thing than I just gave you, as will others. You can get Slabbusters at Rogers in Liberty, a jillion colors too

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like, Bill was front ending you. LOL( not really Bill) I think on slow days scent can help and I like the slab busters skirts.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

There are those out there that will disagree with what I say but..................
    I have done side by side tests using scented and non-scented baits and the scented baits have always outproduced the unscented baits in every test. They especially work better in situations when the fish are in a negative feed pattern.
    I plan to do more testing in the next couple of weeks. All the baits I have made are scented and they have produced very well the past two trips out.

I'M A BELIEVER!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

yes they work and well!

Post Thanks / Like

Default with only 40 years of crappie fishing experience

I use a scent but it is free, if the fishing is tough when I catch a crappie, a crappie has two little fins down below his mouth, just behind the gill opening and down a little, these hold a little slime in the cavity there, I just lift one of them up and there is a little slime there and I swipe my jig through it and things seem to pick up a bit, as far as buying any can't say I haven't bought some, got several bottles of different stuff I would give someone....
    Last edited by olesilverside; 03-25-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I use Crappie nibbles but when I buy a jar I spread them on a paper towel and bake them at 250 degrees for 10 minutes to crust the outside .They stay on the hook better and not as messy to use.Word of advise,wait till momma goes to town and open the windows when you are done,you'll know what I mean when you try this.Done this in a motel at a tournament one night and my partner still cusses about it .

Post Thanks / Like

I also use crappie nibbles, which i dump some out on the floor and let them dry out while i am fishing. The garlic scent that you guys use, is that a spray or a liquid?

Post Thanks / Like

other topics on crappie scent.....

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/misso...pie-scent.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is my $.02

Do they work, who knows, if you feel more confident using scents or nibbles, use them. Everyone probably has a day that using scent or nibbles has improved the bite. Was it because of the scent or did you change depth,jig color or presentation or did you move onto fish? I have had the privilege of fishing with or around a few darn good crappie fisherman and I never seen them reach for a nibble or spray. I have all of the above in my tackle box but can not say they are a must to catch crappie. Use what you think you need to fill the livewell and good luck.:D
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast