Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Glass minnow traps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glass minnow traps

Can anybody tell me where you can purchase one at.

Post Thanks / Like

e-bay
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I got an old one 700:00 buys it

Post Thanks / Like

I found one called stream and lake, is there anyone that has one of these and that has dealt with this business called venture marketing group, the trap is 39 bucks plus 10 to ship seems like a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezgo View Post
    I found one called stream and lake, is there anyone that has one of these and that has dealt with this business called venture marketing group, the trap is 39 bucks plus 10 to ship seems like a good price.

Yessir!!!! I bought 2 of them back in november to catch river shiners and they are really nice traps. Little more expensive than a wire trap but Ive done the test between the 2 and there is no doubt the glass minner trap outperformed the wire trap by a long shot. Theres another company that makes plastic ones and Ive heard they get scratched easily and you have to weight it yourself. These traps are great (stream and lake)!!! Venture marketing sent me mine super fast. Couldnt believe it got my traps so quick. Not to mention they pack it so nicely in packing peanuts that youd have to drop it off a building to break them so shipping you don't have to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

The one hole lay down traps are good for shallow water, and the three hole stand up traps are good for water that's a little deeper.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt in my mind that the glass minnow traps outperform the wire ones, but I didn't think you could buy them any more unless you found one at an antique dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

How To Make A Minnow Trap

Glass minnow traps that will give as good service as those purchased at the tackle store can be made without difficulty. If a trap should be banged carelessly against the side of the boat or some other obstruction and smashed, instead of spending several dollars to replace it, a half hour's time will turn out a new one just as good, says a correspondent of Outing.

A trap of this kind can be made from an ordinary fruit jar such as used in putting up preserves, either of one or two-quart capacity. A one-quart jar gives good results, but if the bait to be caught is of fairly large size, the two quart size may be used. As the jars have the same style top they can be used interchangeably with one mouthpiece.

The mouthpiece is made of a round neck bottle of which the glass is colorless and rather thin. If the neck of the bottle is cut at the right point, it makes a glass funnel that will just fit into the fruit jar. The funnel forms the mouth of the trap. Put the neck of the bottle into the fruit jar and mark the glass with a file where the bottle and jar meet. Make as deep a cut as possible with a file around the bottle on the mark and place two turns of a yarn string saturated in kerosene around just below the cut when the bottle is standing in an upright position. Set fire to the string and turn the bottle from side to side to distribute the heat evenly, then when the string has burned out, plunge the bottle in cold water and it will separate on the cut.

Bind some copper wire around the neck of the jar so that three ends will project 1/2 in. or more. These are bent down over the funnel when put into the jar, forming clamps to hold it in place. The copper wire can be bent many times in emptying or baiting the trap without breaking.

Two copper wire bands are tied tightly around the jar about 3 in. apart. They should be twisted tight with a pair of pliers and the ends joined, forming a ring for attaching a cord.

For catching "kellies" or "killies," bait the trap with crushed clams or salt-water mussels and for fresh water shiners use mincemeat or bread crumbs and do not spill any bait outside of the trap. Leave the trap down ten to fifteen minutes and when resetting it after emptying, put back one or two of the victims, as the others enter more readily if they see some of their companions ahead of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, I used a wire trap last year and had no luck, my dad has one of the old glass traps, I always remember when I was a kid, either in the creeks or using it in the rivers we would always drag up some kind of bait, either shiners or chubs.