Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: line LB rating and fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default line LB rating and fish

I am out in California and everyone out here including myself usually fish 2.b test for crappie. However, lately I have been trying to fish more vertical tree jigging and was wondering if anyone has noticed crappie shy away from heavier line? I know most guys seem to use 6-10lb test in many other states. Wondering what your guys thoughts are?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieSchocker View Post
    I am out in California and everyone out here including myself usually fish 2.b test for crappie. However, lately I have been trying to fish more vertical tree jigging and was wondering if anyone has noticed crappie shy away from heavier line? I know most guys seem to use 6-10lb test in many other states. Wondering what your guys thoughts are?

Thanks
    I use 8 lb vicious panfish line in hi-vis. Fish don't seem to mind if they can see the line. I used to worry if the fish could see the line but i don't worry about it anymore. In my opinion, fish aren't smart enough to see the line as a threat, just like they don't see the hook as a threat.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Schocker ...

I don't think 2lb test line would stand up to my hookset :D (I set the hook with speed, not power )

I started Crappie fishing with 8lb test. (but that was back a couple century's ago :p ) Nowadays I'm using 4lb test mono on every rod I use to cast for Crappie with, except one ... and it has 10/2 PowerPro braid on it, for casting Roadrunners.

While I don't fish in what's normally termed "gin clear water" .... I have fished in water that was clear enough to see bottom in 2-4ft depths, but most waters I fish you will lose sight of a chartreuse jig within the first 1.5-2ft. I've been using "colored" lines for many years, and agree with "mike" ... I'm not convinced that fish see the line as a threat. Too much other stuff going on could be the reason for spooky fish. Plus, with the way I fish most of the time (casting jigs), if I can't see the "tic" in the line ... I'm liable to not know to set the hook

I'm fairly convinced that fish can see ANY line, in clear to lightly stained water & to a fair depth ... even fluorocarbon. And while it may not be "quite" as noticable as bright green, orange, or yellow lines ... it's still visible to them when it counts ---- when they approach the bait But, since I've caught fish on several different colors of line, using the same size/color baits, I've got no qualms about it.

I don't, what you say "vertical jig" ... but, I do sometimes drop a slipfloat/minnow down into the branches of a standing tree. When doing that .... I'm using a 8ft flyrod/spinning reel outfit, and spooled with 20/6 Spiderwire (grey in color). The hook is tied directly to the line, no mono leader. This is mostly a Fall fishing thing, for me, and the water is generally clearer then, than it is during most of the rest of the year. The Crappie never seemed to mind the heavier/bigger line.

If you have trouble with losing jigs/rigs in the timber .... try a reel spooled with four pound test ... and/or maybe use weedless jigheads/jigs. You'll lose less, & probably still catch just as many fish ... maybe more. Still not stout enough ... move up to 6lb test. Color of the line is less important for "jigging", or for younger folks that can still see good

Wanna try something a little "different" ... try this : Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieSchocker View Post
    wondering if anyone has noticed crappie shy away from heavier line?
    Maybe in very clear water.

I believe there's another factor, though. Any bait you use will behave more naturally with lighter line.

Post Thanks / Like

I have four dabbin poles. Two have 20lb braid (6lb mono diameter) and two have 10lb braid (2lb mono diameter). I just hate loosin a bigle girl in the sticks, and 2 lb test line would probably break just comin out of my truck.

The braid give a much stronger line, obviously, and the smaller diameter is ike using 6 lb or less mono or flurocarbon. My open faced for casting jigs, road runners, etc. is 6lb flourocarbon(sp), and I like it just fine.

The braid gives me a much more sensitive 'feel' cause it doesn't streatch.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6 lb or 8 lb depending on rod/reel type. I like the 8 lb. so I can get my hook out of deep cover. The 2 lb. seems light to me as I would be concerned that I would break more hook sets when trying to jig in cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Size

The only reason to use 2 lb. test line or 10 lb. test line is for one reason and one reason only: Depth & Speed control. If you look at line in any other perspective, you are kidding yourself.

Over 50 years ago Buck Perry proclaimed this theory of his as fact. And it's been proven time & time again by scores of our most renowned fishermen. If you approach any facet of fishing with those controls in mind, you are well ahead of the game.

Depending on the depth I'm fishing and the mood (speed control) of the fish, I fish different lines and have spare spools set up for just that purpose.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6lb because that's the lightest line that will straighten a light wire jig hook.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Over 50 years ago Buck Perry proclaimed this theory of his as fact.
    I was a fan of the old Fishing Facts mag which featured Buck's articles. I miss him and FF.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mainly 6 lb. but if the fish get a little finnicky I have a spool of 4 lb in my tackle bag.

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast