Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Keeping Minnows Alive and Swimmin'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping Minnows Alive and Swimmin'

I used to hate fishing with minnows because an hour into the day the bucket was half dead and shortly after that the rest were floatin'. I've picked up a few pointers over the years and have had better luck with survival rates. The biggest improvement I made was buying a HEAVY walled styrofoam bucket and a small aerator. I can actually keep minnows all day and over night.

My question here is, what are the best ways to buy, handle, store and use minnows to get the most out of your money? What water temp? Feed em' or not and if so, what? Additives?
    My worst day of fishin' is still better than my best day at work!

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't found a way to keep em more than 2 or 3 days yet .we got an mr bubbles bucket with air to it but don't no if thAt will work in long term

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old 25 gallon aquarium sitting around so I purchased one of those waterfall style filters for less than 20.00 and have kept them alive for several weeks that way. Occasionally I throw in some gold fish food and have to fish out a dead one every few days but it works well. I have had several dozen at a time in it before.

I don't know exactly how long I could keep them in there but I dropped the last 5 or 6 into the wifes turtle tank and one of them was around for more than a month before the turtle ate it. I guess it ate algae or something because I never fed it.

As for what I keep them in on the lake I use some of the water from the tank in an insulated bucket with a small frozen bottle and an aerator and don't leave the bucket in direct sunlight. Ive moved minnows back and forth several times that way with less than 15% dead loss.
    Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese.