Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Hand?

I've got two kids that are both left handed and my and the wife are right handed. My question is which hand should be more comfortable to teach the kids how to cast and retreive? I was handed a rod and learned how to fish wacky style. Right handed, cast with right, and retreive with my right. I did learn to use the rod with the left hand while casting but the right is still dominate on the cast. I just would like to point the kids in the right direction. Any suggestions would help. Rollcaster..................................
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Post Thanks / Like

Rollcaster,
    I'm left handed and I learned to throw left and reel right I don't have a problem but I cant throw right and reel left I have the same problem with my littlest one shes left handed but right now shes throwing the same as I do I think its what you get use to and what feels more comfortable.
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Rollcaster,

Like you, I am right handed... cast and reel with my right. My daughter is 10 and is left handed. She is, without question, a left handed caster. What I did was swap the reel handle from one side to the other, letting her try it both ways. She is more comfortable reeling with her right hand.

Let the kids try it both ways, and do whatever works best for them. I don't think there is a wrong way.

Post Thanks / Like

Only the uncoordinated cast and retrieve with the same hand, cast with your dominanant and retrieve with the other.

I feel sorry for folks that can't make small circles with their nondominant hand... but not too sorry.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a lefty myself - cast left handed and reel right handed. There are very few things I can do right handed but that is definitely one I've got mastered!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Jameslin and Mrs. Crappie Stalker, I'm a lefty myself but I cast left and reel right and can't do crap with my right hand, I'm totally dependent on my left. So let them do what comes natural to them. What feels the best.
    Jesus Said: Come, follow me & I will make you fishers of men.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm left handed and cast with the same hand. I can't understand why the pros don't learn to cast left handed. Back years ago when I fished for green carp, I would have missed many of fish when I were switching hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Only the uncoordinated cast and retrieve with the same hand, cast with your dominanant and retrieve with the other.

I feel sorry for folks that can't make small circles with their nondominant hand... but not too sorry.:rolleyes:
    I won't even argue that with you, GCD. That's why I love spider riggin' and fly fishing... I don't have to fool with reeling!!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

let them pick up the rod and let them do whats comfortable...i see alot of people using open face reels in the up postion on the rod, not facing down..it will come to them

Post Thanks / Like

I am left handed, but my dad taught me to do a lot of stuff right handed when I was pretty young, so as I grew a little older I picked up everything left handed naturally. I cant do everything either way, but there are certain things that it is nice to be able to do either way. But of course, none of the teaching was with force, it was just easier to learn with my opposite hand since I was so young, and it was completely new to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast