Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: water clarity vs. line color

Post Thanks / Like

Default water clarity vs. line color

I have always used light clear line in clear water and hi-vis yellow line in dirty water but have noticed alot using the hi-vis lines in clear water and catching fish. I always have 2 spools of line for my reels, one clear light line and the other hi-vis 8 lb line. One example is a buddy and I went walleye fishing in clean rather clear lake. I had light clear line and my buddy had stren gold that looked like a rope in the clear water. I thought, he wont even get a bite today, but he caught several walleye and the largest one that day. Also I have noticed on infisherman tv show that they have been using hi-vis line in the crystal clear northern lakes fishing for smallmouth and other species. Does line color really matter or am I giving the fish to much credit?

Post Thanks / Like

I use hi-vis and do not think it matters. Have caught a mess of fish on it.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I just switched over to hi-vis line. Vicious 8 lb panfish hi-vis line. I used to wonder the same thing. I fished water this weekend where the visibility was about 2 feet. That's clear water around here. The fish didn't care if they could see the line or not. Caught 50 crappie this weekend. Yeah, they can see it, but they didn't see it as a threat. I saw someone post that maybe the fish can follow the line to the bait. Not sure about that but it surely didn't keep them from biting.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always heard the color red is the first color to disapear in the water, maybe the hi-vis colored lines begin to disapear at certain depths.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried both on several occasions in clear water, sometimes it did not matter but on a few occasions it did.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how clear the water is that you are fishing, but I am used to 15 ft of visibility so I use 2 lb test line. I don't really need anything more and I think I get more bites this way.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the exact same thing. I have clear 4# mono for the clear water and 4 and 6# hi vis for the stained water. The lake I normally fish is super clear, you can see the bottom in 10ft. Sometimes I think I still catch more on the hi vis cause I detect more strikes when they are biting lite.