Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letting the air out of air sac

Post Thanks / Like

Default Letting the air out of air sac

Im new to the forum and I appreciate any info guys. I fish an unusually deep lake in N.FL. Sometimes catching specks at 45 feet deep but bringing them up from that deep sends them floating belly up in my live well. Every now and again I would like to cull some of these fish due to size or Ive maxed my bag limit but it wouldnt be right to send them floating. I know there is a way to stick them with a thin needle in their air sac but I havent had anyone show me how to do it successfully. Alot of bass fisherman use this technique trying to catch the big big fish in deep water but like I said no one has been able to show me successfully. Pics or just some good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search on google for "Fizzin Crappie".
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. That's "Fizzing Crappie". My West Kentucky accent comes thru in my typing.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

I let them sit on the boat floor for 2-5 minutes then put them back in, 9 times out of 10 they will swim away.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The jury is still out ...

... on whether or not puncturing the swim bladder (air bladder) is a good method. The authorities aren't sure that the fish "survive". Just because they swim away, is no sign that they'll survive. They just swim away from a perceived threat/capture ... not necessarily because they're in good shape. They also don't know how long it takes for the puncture to heal ... so the fish may not have the capability of suspending or balance for several days, or more.

You also have to be careful how you do the "fizzing" method ... so as not to puncture organs or major blood vessels. There's also the known problem of handling the fish too much ... removing the slime coat, thus leaving the fish open to bacterial attacks. Either or both could spell doom for the fish.

I'd contact the FL DNR/F&W and ask their take on the matter ... and go with their suggestions.

... cp

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kincade View Post
    I let them sit on the boat floor for 2-5 minutes then put them back in, 9 times out of 10 they will swim away.

I do the same thing. I don't understand exactly why that works, but it does.

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

You can place a heavy sinker attached to a line, and insert the weight in their mouths and lower them back down to the depth where you caught them. When they are back at the depth they were in the fish will spit the weight or you can shake the line to dislodge the weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Also just bring the fish up at a much slower rate, that will help big time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brushnjigs View Post
    Also just bring the fish up at a much slower rate, that will help big time
    That is the best thing to do!

Here's a video on fizzing a Bass and there are more related vids too.

YouTube - Sure Life Laboratories Fizzing

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Belly Weights

Quote Originally Posted by swampfishin View Post
    Sometimes catching specks at 45 feet deep but bringing them up from that deep sends them floating belly up in my live well.
    This year I'm trying to keep 'em alive with a half oz weight hooked on their belly with a small bream hook. I lost some over 2#s last year during a tourney but kept some going by keeping them upright after I saw the dead ones. I bet this will work. It should give the bladder time to adjust.
    We have to have ours alive at the tourney weigh in line.

If you are past your limit and want to keep catching them I don't know what to tell you. I know it is hard to stop when they are biting but I hate to see you killing fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast