Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Side Depth on Boat (Polar Kraft)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Depth on Boat (Polar Kraft)

I call upon the brain trust here once again. I sold my bass boat which was a bear to garage so I'm in the boat market again.

Been looking at boats everywhere and talked with some good dealerships about a new one. In the meantime I ran across a Polar Kraft Bass Series. Talked with owner and he fishes big lakes in MN so he is looking for a Deep V. The enticing part is he figures the motor may have 20-30 hours on it, most from trolling.

With that said, he emailed me some pics. From looking at Polar's website this model boat has 20" sides. Most of the boats I have looked at have 23-26" sides. This worries me a little for I have a 6 yr old and don't want him falling out of the boat. Just by looking at the pics the boat seems "shallow", but then again I haven't seen it in person.

What does the brain trust think? Are the sides of the boat too shallow? Is that possibly a blessing regarding not catching as much wind? I'll repeat - I do have a 6 yr old who I don't want falling out. Being a bass model, it has the raised front deck.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't look to bad in the cockpit but I could see him walking down the rod box and falling in or out of the boat. Just depends I would trust my 6 year old in that boat. I make him wear a life jacket regardless.

Just curious what kind of price is that boat? It looks like a dandy!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Since It's decked I don't know how much of a difference the height of the sides makes. It's such a spotless clean boat I'd hate to pass it up if the deal is right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkrueger View Post
    Since It's decked I don't know how much of a difference the height of the sides makes. It's such a spotless clean boat I'd hate to pass it up if the deal is right.
    Yeah that's what has me so hung up, for I like the low front deck. He says the motor has around 25 hours and 4 years worth of warranty left. According to him, very little, if anything, is wrong with the boat.

Doesn't have a 24V TM or any fancy fish finder.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 2072 polar kraft and it has 26in sides....once in the boat the sides are a lil over knee high and im 6ft....my son is also 6 and its about waist high on him...no matter what tho i make him wear a life jacket at all times.....i think you would be fine
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Well after doing some more reading, PK no longer makes a 176. Instead they make a 175 & 182. This boat is laid out like the 182 which has 23" sides.

This boat which is 17.5' is rated for a 90hp, whereas their new lines of 175 are only rated for a 75hp. I believe this boat was replaced by their 182, which is rated for a 90. Long story short, if Im right this boat will have 23" sides.

I'm going to call the seller and just have his measure. Only way to know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give a bump for the nice gentleman selling this boat. I'm going to pass for I want a lowered front deck. Motor has 4yrs warranty remaining and he has it priced at $12,400. Said one of the seats was broke so he would knock $200 off for that. Price might be further negotiable.

Boat is located near Lawrenceville, Ill. You can PM me for his email.
    Last edited by Big Ridge Brewer; 03-22-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How close to Lawrenceville? I live in Lawrenceville and wouldn't mind running over and getting a measurement or something for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis View Post
    How close to Lawrenceville? I live in Lawrenceville and wouldn't mind running over and getting a measurement or something for you.
    Thanks for your generosity, it's much appreciated and one of the reasons I like this forum.

I'm sorta hung up on a lowered front deck, so I am going to pass on the boat. After talking with this gentleman for over an hour, he is real pleasant to talk with and honest about the boat. I hope he sells it and gets the deep-v that's more suited to his fishing style.

The boat is actually in Vincennes, IN.