Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Productive Odd-ball Jig Colors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Productive Odd-ball Jig Colors

Living/Fishing in West Texas we have different degrees of MUDDY water (never clear more than 2 inches), haha. Anyhoo, I ran across a dynamite color that I don't see anywhere, that was very productive in late Summer, early Fall that one would not think would work, but absolutely caught fish when other colors would not. The color combo was:

Non-colored jig head (1/16 oz.) in this case,
    with chenille of brown/yellow/flash, and a two color hackle tail of brown and pale yellow.

Do not have any idea why it was so good as we have very few crawdad's and mostly threadfin and gizzard shad for a food source. You jig tying fishermen might create one just for kicks and see if it works for you.

Anyone have a special color combo that works that is not the standard jig colors???
    We might benefit from other jig fishermen in other areas. With winter on us, it might relieve the cabin fever for awhile with jig tying.

Good Fishing and Merry Christmas,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Mud-dabber, I have ran across this situation on 2 different occasions. I found an oddball color on the shelf at a local tackle store one time and bought the only pack they had left. It looked as if it had been on the shelf for years. I slaughtered the crappie on that color and have not been able to find anymore since. Once I was fishing around an old water pipe that ran underneath the water to the other side. This pipe use to hold crappie year after year after year during the winter. I had been catching them regularly when all the sudden the bite slowed. I had read an article somewhere where someone mentioned to fish with a color that matches the structure you are fishing around. I found a color that closely resembled the pipe. Once again slaughtered the crappie. I have not been able to find that exact color again. So I know how you feel about this situation. Good luck and I hope you find something that will work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Jig color and structure and water clarity is always tied together. But, never be tied to it. One of the rules in my boat is "there is never anything wrong with the way you're fishing." There may be alternative, but not wrong. Anyway, I told my wife that, so she started to do her on thing which consisted of a red/char tube jig tipped with a orange/char tube. Certainly, I've heard of folks tipping their jigs with minnows and other flavorful critters, but never another piece of plastic. Well, I'm still eating crow over that trip. She put it on all of us all day long. Color, yes important. Uncommon color sometimes, definitely yes.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

To go along with Darryl's story....

My wife likes to minnow fish. One day the fish were biting and we ran out of minnow, so I left the house to go to the local bait store to get her some more. When I got back, she had taken a tube body and put it on her minnow hook, now keep in mind, not threaded down the body of the tube, but stuck the body on the hook cross ways, she was catching crappie......

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Okie
    To go along with Darryl's story....

My wife likes to minnow fish. One day the fish were biting and we ran out of minnow, so I left the house to go to the local bait store to get her some more. When I got back, she had taken a tube body and put it on her minnow hook, now keep in mind, not threaded down the body of the tube, but stuck the body on the hook cross ways, she was catching crappie......
    Gotta love a woman! We can fish with stuff you can't imagine...
    And we can cook a feast with little or nuthin'
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller
    Gotta love a woman! We can fish with stuff you can't imagine...
    And we can cook a feast with little or nuthin'
    Well sweetie, you got 2 out of 3 right. I do love a woman and you women can certainly fish with unimaginable stuff, but I do the cooking out of little or nothing. I know that's what I'm suppose to do when Julie starts slamming cabinets, sighing and saying "there's just nothing in here to cook." She gets me everytime, cuz I gotta go show her that there is, lol.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]