Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha or Honda 60Hp re power

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha or Honda 60Hp re power

Thinking on re powering my Lund 1650 Rebel dealer sells both honda is about $300 more. I am needing some help have not owned ether one.
    Thanks inadvance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman223 View Post
    Thinking on re powering my Lund 1650 Rebel dealer sells both honda is about $300 more. I am needing some help have not owned ether one.
    Thanks inadvance.
    Yamaha has been making outboard way longer than honda. I'd go with yamaha.

Post Thanks / Like

Honda has been building 4 stroke outboards for over 40 years. Yamaha started building them in 1985 I think. But that's not the point. I owned a 2002 Honda 50HP. Excellent engine no problems. I now own a boat with an F50 Yamaha. It to is excellent and no problems. The only reason I like the Yamaha over the Honda is that in 2002, the Honda was a carb motor. You had to choke it when cold and nurse the choke for maybe 10 seconds. Really not much of an issue. The Yamaha is fuel injected and starts and idles immediately. The good news is that Honda's are now fuel injected. For me it would be a toss up on which one to buy. If it's going to be a tiller motor, see what one suits your fancy. I like my Yamaha tiller handle. Shift, throttle, and trim buttons are very handy, and it has Variable Throttle Control. It allows you to control engine RPM's in increments of 50 so you can dial in a trolling speed. it's done by buttons on the tiller handle, no trying to get the twist throttle just right. My Honda was a remote control motor, so I can't comment on their tiller handles.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider saving a little money.

Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke availible at Bass Pro for 3500-4000 if you can find one. They stopped making 2 strokes in January this year and Bass Pro has deeply discounted them to take em out of inventory.

Post Thanks / Like

For reliability and efficiency, you can't go wrong with either. The Honda's are generally more expensive, which is why I own a Yamaha.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I owned a couple of dealerships that sold both until 2004 when I sold out. Both are top notch with excellent warranty. Now to blow your mind. I think Suzuki is the best 4 stroke value on the market ( although I own a merc 4 stroke because they come factory with a jet). Suzukis are way cheaper and every bit as good. It's all what makes you happy. Don't let a couple hundred dollars make you say I should have for the next 5 years.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 25hp 4-stroke Yamaha 2001. Not once has it gave me a lick of trouble. At idle speed you can't even hardly tell the motor is running. When I decide to upgrade. It's going to be Yamaha all the way for me, no doubt.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 70 hp two stroke Yamaha. It is extremely reliable and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

However, Honda has a great reputation also.

Lots of good points above. Especially Shellback's mention of the ergonomics of control locations.

I know both companies build great products. I am not very mechanical so I have to consider the dealer as part of my equation when making a purchase like this...good luck.
    Gadget Man

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha very good motors. My buddy 150 is a 89 and still runs like new and low mant.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are fine engines. And so is the suzy.
    Now if only the Yami and Honda are available to you, I'd look at the weight of each motor and go from there.
    Just a guess here, but I'm inclined to say the Yami will weigh less, which would seal the deal for me, along with the same reasons Shellback gave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast