Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Harris 3/18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harris 3/18

Fished Sharron Harris yesterday with a friend from church who recently found out he has Luekemia. I wanted so bad to show him a great afternoon of fishing and Harris did not let us down. We started out in 10-15ft of water on structure and picked up about 6 in the first two hours. Then I made what I thought was a bold move and moved to shallow water on beaver huts, this was a good move! About 40 slabs later and one bass that my buddy caught that was 19 3/4" and had to be close to 4lb. I was glad we came.

I also learned that slabs will be in the shallows even in 54 degree water. This is the coolest water temp that I have seen them in the shallows before at Harris. Usually they start shallow, in the spots I fish, right around 60 degrees. But the time of year is right on target with previous years.

Biggest crappie was 14.5" with about 20 13"er's. Kept a total of 50 fish to be fried shortly.

fishengineer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Day on Harris

Sounds like the size of the fish at Harris is improving. Was home on R&R in Feb during the snowstorm took my son to Harris because the Jordan ramps were closed we managed to bring 40+ home that were over 10".
    The first 7 years I was stationed at Bragg I only fished Harris caught a hundred a day but they were all 8-9" with a slab once in a great while. It looks like the size of the fish is getting better, wonder what would happen if they started a 10" min and a 20 fish limit on Harris?

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Harris report, thanks for sharing, and prayers sent for your friend

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got on them for your friend. How shallow is shallow? There was a bunch of bassers that had the banks covered so I didnt get that far. Glad to know crappie are still there I was begining to wonder.

Post Thanks / Like

You will never regret what you did. I had a brother to die of leukemia. He loved to fish. I wish he could be here now to fish with me.

I thank you tremendously for what you did!!

Bo Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

very nice report! I've never liked to base my fishing techniques on water temp as it may slow down a spawning fish but it wont stop them from spawning... A lot of it has to do with other conditions such as length of day, moon phase, barometric pressure and so on... Some folks wont even go fishing if they dont think the water temps are right, but they sure wont catch any fish that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow

Well, I ended up fishing about 6-12" down from the bobber off of beaver lodges. There are about 10-15 nice size lodges (beaver dens) on the side of the banks on Harris in various coves, try to find one that is near a creek channel and you can catch the crappie in waves all day long. The best lodges are the ones that are abandoned and have slid down in the water a little bit.
    This is a great time of the year to take a kid or those not too familiar with fishing.
    Lastly, one other thing to try is a small 1" tube below a bobber about 6" fished close to the weeds and any wood.