Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad trailer tire wear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad trailer tire wear

I know this has been discussed before, sorry. I did not pay attention to members reply because it did not affect me at the time. Well times have changed. I need your input. My trailer tires are wearing real bad on the inside of the tire. 80% of the tire still looks brand new. My boat and trailer is a 2001 17' Ranger Cherokee model. The set of tires that came with the boat and trailer when we bought it new, we got 4 years out of. The next set I got 3 years out of. This last set are only 2 years old and they need replaced. so this problem is getting worse. The frustraiting part for me is that like I stated above. 80% of the tire still looks brand new. The inside is wearing complety bald. All the tires have been Goodyear. I have been told that I may have a bent axle. I have never hit anything hard enough to even come close to bending an axle. I know this for a fact. I do live in the country and some of the roads I take to get to the lake are Crowned. At first I thought it was just the crowned roads. Not sure now. It's about a 20 mile drive to the lake I fish. With only about 7 of those miles being country roads. Ok I will shut up and get to the point. For those of you who May have had a tire wear problem.. What causes excessive wear on the inside of trailer tires? Thanks.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a string or a long straight edge and put it across the bottom of your axle. It should be bowed up in the middle. If it's straight across or bowed down, your axle is bad. Axles have the bow built into them from the factory. i would imagine after a period of time or overloading the trailer the axle could straighten.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn them around and wear the other side a while. It won't fix your problem, but you'll get a little more for your tire money this time around.

Post Thanks / Like

Take that string and measure from the trailer tongue to equal points (usually a bolt on the axle) for both sides of the axle. That's what happened on my trailer and it was doing the same thing. Does your trailer track to one side when pulling down the road?

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Just the constant loading the boat and hauling in on the road will cause the bounce and bend the axle. If you have a spring shop around your town they may be able to re arch the axle. Or you could replace it with a heavier axle to lessen the chance of it happening again. I'd check the spring shop first. Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Look on page 5 of this link. Trailer Tire Service Guide Line I will look for more info. for you if you need it.
    http://www.carlisletire.com/product_...vice_guide.pdf

BamaMan

Post Thanks / Like

Also try this link. go down to where is says "Tire Wear Diagnostic" and click it. ShoreLand'r Boat Trailers - Diagnostic Tools

BamaMan

Post Thanks / Like

PIGINTHEPIGPEN Are you using car tires or trailer tires on your boat trailer? If you are using car tires that may be some of the problem. The tires may be over loaded. I would get some new trailer tires and call a boat place up and ask if a boat trailer needs a wheel alignment or not. But my guess is just overloaded boat with under rated tires.

BamaMan

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked to see if the bearings are tight?
    "Stumphunter's Crappie Jigs" Prostaff

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good info so far. I would put it up on blocks and remove the tires on both sides. Get a long tape measure and start weasuring. The answer is there somewhere. My money is on a bent or damaged axle.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast