Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Breakage? Who's responsible for new rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pole Breakage? Who's responsible for new rod?

I took a friend fishing and he broke a pole. Before we left to go fishing I told him that each of my rods are about $40 and that I don't like having to buy a new one unless I break it. He said he knew what he was doing and was insulted that I was telling him "how to fish". Well, we go out and I look over after a couple of spots and see an eye barely hanging on and bent. Now I notice this because I know the condition of ALL of my equipment (NEW or well taken care of) and wouldn't of even been using that rod in it's condition to begin with. If it ws like that before I would have fixed it. So anyway I notice it and he begins to get hot that he didn't do it and this and that and says he noticed it early and knew he would be blamed for it. Well anyway he says he will pay for it after I wasn't really saying that much other than that I knew I didn't do it. But he was still mad and left the $40 on a table at my house. Now, my delima is this...Do I replace it with the same rod or a better one with me chipping in a few bucks...No really, I know the guy and he is CHEAP and I think if he really hadn't of done it he wouldn't have left the money. But my main question is this...Do any of yall expect to have broken equipment replaced by the breakee? Now if it were a 10 dollar Walmart rod then no big deal. But at 40 bucks a pop replacement of busted rods can get expensive real quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait
    I took a friend fishing and he broke a pole. Before we left to go fishing I told him that each of my rods are about $40 and that I don't like having to buy a new one unless I break it. He said he knew what he was doing and was insulted that I was telling him "how to fish". Well, we go out and I look over after a couple of spots and see an eye barely hanging on and bent. Now I notice this because I know the condition of ALL of my equipment (NEW or well taken care of) and wouldn't of even been using that rod in it's condition to begin with. If it ws like that before I would have fixed it. So anyway I notice it and he begins to get hot that he didn't do it and this and that and says he noticed it early and knew he would be blamed for it. Well anyway he says he will pay for it after I wasn't really saying that much other than that I knew I didn't do it. But he was still mad and left the $40 on a table at my house. Now, my delima is this...Do I replace it with the same rod or a better one with me chipping in a few bucks...No really, I know the guy and he is CHEAP and I think if he really hadn't of done it he wouldn't have left the money. But my main question is this...Do any of yall expect to have broken equipment replaced by the breakee? Now if it were a 10 dollar Walmart rod then no big deal. But at 40 bucks a pop replacement of busted rods can get expensive real quick.

Wow thats a tuffy. If it were me who "Broke" the rod there would be no question as to if I paid for it or not. I know not everyone is like that. Things like this can ruin a friendship. If he was a real friend this would not be an issue and he would have ponied up the money without argument. Sorry I couldn't be of much help. I feel for you

Post Thanks / Like

Angry broken rod

Bummer!! I can only speak for myself but I would have paid for it if I broke it, no problem. I ran into the same problem before. A friend of mine borrowed one of my GOOD inshore rigs. All-star rod with a stradic reel. The rod was custom and cost about $140. He brought it back in 2 pieces The worst part was that he thought it was funny. I told him how much it was and he said that I shouldnt have let him borrow such a nice rod!!!!! After about 3 months he finally paid for it. So now Ive learned to keep my GOOD rigs for me and I have bought decent combos $30-50 for anyone else to use. I live on a lake so people use my gear all the time. If they break one its much easier to get $30 than $140. If they dont pay-they dont play!!!............BB

Post Thanks / Like

You should not have asked him to go fishing with you. Never ask a friend to go fishing with you who has no equipment,unless you are willing to absorb the loss,if something is broken. Though, he should have said ,if I break it I will buy it.
    That why I rarely borrow anything. Also, thats why I'm broke, I have crap I only use every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it comes down to this..

1. How well does the guy take care of his property??

2. How good a friend is he. Most of my fishing buddy's
    would have paid..

3. Is his friend ship worth $40.00 ????

This is a principle problem not a property problem...

Maybe you want to keep a cheap pole around
    incase the situation comes up again..

Post Thanks / Like

I've had two rods broken. One by a friend/roommate and the other by my brother...both replaced the rod before I knew it was broken. If they had just given me money instead, I would have put it "towards" a rod and not felt guilty if I bought one worth twice as much (adding my own $$).

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to Wal Mart Buy 12 $ rods for newbes Dont loan out stuff you care about till you know they can handle it or cover cost of it . Just my experince

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friends don't let a $40.00 ROD come between them

I would not have even put a thing like that on HERE!!!!!!!!!!

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peace and love = happieness

I understand your problem and have been there myself also. Sleep on it and get over it. Your a big enough man to forgive and forget! Maybe he is telling the truth and had no idea that he broke it. Put a new tip on it the busted one and give it to him to keep. Then he won't think your a hard-arss.
    Life is way too short! Rods can be replaced but friends are sometimes much harder to find. There have been times when I'd trade a good rod or two for someone fun and honest to fish with. If he would pay his share, never tell where we fished, and clean a few fish too I'd buy him a $40 rod. Hope you guys work it out. Don
    Last edited by percher; 12-21-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep cheap rods around for just this reason. Like when I take my 4 yr old son or father in law fishing if they break it no problem. Yard sells and discount stores are great for them..
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast