Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ultralite vs Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultralite vs Carp

Finally got to hit the lake today after a week of wind and rains. We were casting 3/32 oz hothead jigs tipped with curly tail grubs for crappie and had been catching a few small ones. I was using a 5 ft ultralite rod with an ultra lite reel with 6 lb test not thinking about hooking a carp..I had quite a battle for approx 20 minutes with him taking me anyplace he wanted to go. Everytime I'd get him to the boat, he'd turn and head towards a dock. Finally got him to the top to at least see him. Biggest carp I've had ahold of for quite some time. Guessed him at approx 30 inches and 15 to 20 lbs, but didn't land him to be more accurate. He finally broke loose before we could get a net under him..Oh well, he was fun while it lasted. Ended up with 25-30 crappie, but only 6 keepers so day wasn't a total loss..

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Larry:
    I know what that is like. The first fish I caught at the TeeZur Crappie Fishing Tournament was a 4 to 6 lb Fresh Water drum. I caught him on a 5 ft long ultralight outfit with 6lb test line. I have hooked into those darn things many times now and was wishing that it had been a 4lb crappie instead of that darn Drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry C
    Finally got to hit the lake today after a week of wind and rains. We were casting 3/32 oz hothead jigs tipped with curly tail grubs for crappie and had been catching a few small ones. I was using a 5 ft ultralite rod with an ultra lite reel with 6 lb test not thinking about hooking a carp..I had quite a battle for approx 20 minutes with him taking me anyplace he wanted to go. Everytime I'd get him to the boat, he'd turn and head towards a dock. Finally got him to the top to at least see him. Biggest carp I've had ahold of for quite some time. Guessed him at approx 30 inches and 15 to 20 lbs, but didn't land him to be more accurate. He finally broke loose before we could get a net under him..Oh well, he was fun while it lasted. Ended up with 25-30 crappie, but only 6 keepers so day wasn't a total loss..
    Regards,

Moose1am

COOL LURES Guest

At least Im not the only one this has happend to. I was using a mini-mite and had a carp hit it. THe carp wasnt nearly as big but I know the feeling you had and had the same result.
    Even had a 2 lb channel cat that thought he was Mobi Dick.

I use mostly 4 pound line with my abu cardinal. Enjoy and tightlines!
    Last edited by COOL LURES; 04-29-2004 at 01:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carp Dinner Recipe

It's a shame you didn't land that big ole carp. They can make for a tasty meal if prepared right. One of my old friends showed me a way to prepare and cook a meal from the bigger carp. I don't know if it's available all over the country, but in Louisiana, we have a seasoning called "Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning". This stuff is about the best I've ever used and it's good on just about anything. Back to the big carp. First fire up your horizontal smoker. (This due to the length of the fish.) Get it leveled out at about 210 degrees. While this is going on, prepare the carp for cooking. Take a Sweet Pecan board and lay the carp on the board. (You don't want to use a Bitter Pecan board for, well, obvious reasons.) A good sprinkling of Tony's on the board beforehand will aid in removing the carp after cooking. Cover the carp with copious amounts of Tony's and that is all the seasoning required. Cook on the grill for about one hour. Remove from the grill. The carp may appear black, but that is ok. Carefully scrape the carp from the Sweet Pecan board and discard. Then eat the board.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Larry C I once caught a 60lb buffalo on 4lb hi-vis gold stren line and hung one bigger than that and held him for 30 minutes and almost landed him til he rapped me in a bush and broke my line. Along the Tennessee river after duck season is well over with, they let the backwaters flow out from tiles into the river and this attracts lots of Carp and Buffalo and other fish because of the warm water. Most of them are not hooked in the mouth though, they are accidentally snagged in the current, but do catch some good size carp and buffalo in the mouth there. People use to snag for them as a sport, but they outlawed it.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah back in the day some friends and i would go down to the local urban lake with a couple cans of corn and some light long rods. we would catch carp all day they can be alot of fun to catch espcaily wheen you hook a 25 pounder on 8 pound test.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the carp get big here in washington..They'll hhit shad raps too and sometimes they get in the way and get fowl hooked.My cousin wasfishing with a 5 foot ultralight and 6lb test and hooked a carp in the tail, we had to chase it down with the boat to go get his shad rap back.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS