Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie mortality

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie mortality

What do you guy think about transfering crappie from say lake conroe, to a pond in sheperd?

Think they would survive?

Now toss in another stop, my house.
    To move these crappie from the lake to my parents pond.
    I would have to bring them home, let them live in my boat livewell a few days then move them to my parents place. this would be atleast 1 hour from the lake to my house, a few days in livewell with minners for food then a hour to the pond.

My livewell is rather large and has a 110volt areator and heater (I keep the water at 67*) in it for fish storage when I get home to tired to clean fish.

I have had fish in it for over a week in the past. just not crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

if you made a straight trip they might make it but you have to put some things into consideration such as

pond size and depth
    what other types of fish are in there
    is there adequate structure
    is there adequate food source for crappie
    also if there is a proper bedding area if your wanting them to breed.

most things i have read don't recommend putting crappie in ponds smaller then 10 acres
    Last edited by Fish4life71; 03-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

if ya got them too the pond alive then should live but pond size is a big deal they can over pop a pond very fast
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I would reconsider putting them in a pond. My buddy owns a pond that is way over run with little ones. They overpopulate and their growth get's stunted.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh! Thats why you pull out select sizes. to allow for growth of the smallies and biggins..

Thats how we maintain the bass pop in these ponds.. gotts pull the majority..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezdaar View Post
    Heh! Thats why you pull out select sizes. to allow for growth of the smallies and biggins..

Thats how we maintain the bass pop in these ponds.. gotts pull the majority..
    wont work putting crappie in with bass in a small pond, unless you have a ton of bait in there, the crappie will eat the heck out of the young bass and your bass pop will go down unless your pond is plenty large enough. Also it is alot harder to pull the correct amount of fish like your suggesting.

Post Thanks / Like

of all game fish crappie spawn the bigest a 10 inch crappie can lay about 10000 eggs wait a few years will be so many babys will over pop the pond they have done it to lakes ponds under 30 ac will just kill out the pond and even from 30 to 100 ac if not fished very hard can do same thing
    Alan