Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: white and blaCK stripe crappie breeding?

Post Thanks / Like

Default white and blaCK stripe crappie breeding?

Monday night I found a mess of crappie on lake conroe, and it seems the black stripe crappie and normal white crappie where mixed up in the same brush pile.

Are these fish breeding?
    I read that the black stripe crappie was native to north texas?

If thats the case, How in the heck did my parents pond get black strip in it?
    Other than the bird carrying egg thing... makes me wonder if the guys stocking ponds are mixxing them up.

One thing is for shure the black strip crappie fight alot harder and longer than norm crappie!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-18-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

its just like the trout there breeding now, a rainbow/salmon hybrid mix. A 14 in rainbow/salmon, fights so hard. Even heard about a channelcat/blue cat mix also that are som good fighters....just makes you think what science is going to do next...some people are to smart for their own good

Post Thanks / Like

you forgot about the almight crapperal, crappie/pickeral hybrid lol

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a mess of those on lake eufaula, cooked em up and they taste just like chicken lol...............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Talk about...

stretching your line! Those hybrid crappies are certainly line stretchers!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Crappie View Post
    stretching your line! Those hybrid crappies are certainly line stretchers!
    Theyre DEFINITELY "something" stretchers.LOL:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation ezdaar ....

Quote Originally Posted by ezdaar View Post
    Monday night I found a mess of crappie on lake conroe, and it seems the black stripe crappie and normal white crappie where mixed up in the same brush pile.
    Are these fish breeding?
    I read that the black stripe crappie was native to north texas?
    If thats the case, How in the heck did my parents pond get black strip in it?
    Other than the bird carrying egg thing... makes me wonder if the guys stocking ponds are mixxing them up.
    One thing is for shure the black strip crappie fight alot harder and longer than norm crappie!
    (assuming you are referring to a Black Crappie with a black stripe running down the back, from the dorsal fin to the bottom lip ....... as a "black stripe Crappie")

Actually, the "black stripe Crappie" are Blacknose Crappie. They're a naturally occuring Black Crappie with a genetic marker. They occur naturally in a section of the White River, in Arkansas (and I think they originated from there). They may also occur naturally in other waters. And they are stocked in many waterways throughout the Southeast.

It could very well be that the Blacknose & White Crappie are cross breeding ... or it could just be that they preferred the same cover spot (at that particular time). I've caught Black & White Crappie from the same cover spot, on more than one occasion ... and most of the time it wasn't even spawning season.

How did Black Crappie get into your parents pond, to begin with .... it is very possible that, if they were stocked by your Game/Fish Dept, some Blacknose "could" have been part of that broodstock. If the pond wasn't stocked by G&F Dept .... then someone else would have had to place them there. And they would have had to put in more than just one pair .... if a Blacknose breeds with a normal Black Crappie, the offspring will not have the black stripe.

I agree with you, that the Blacknose do seem to fight harder than a normal Black Crappie (even though biologists suggest otherwise) :p --- I've had Blacknose jump out of the water, once hooked ... and even had one jump clear over the front end of the boat :D I've never had a White Crappie, or a normal Black Crappie do that.

This is a picture of the Blacknose Crappie :

TWRA - Photo of a Blacknose Black Crappie - Jim Negus
    (copied & posted with written permission from Jim Negus)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have black nose crappie in my pond, I bought my fish from an arkansas fish farm.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught quite a few crappie today, in central IL. and noticed a good majority of them had the black stripe. I had never really noticed it b4, but never looked until I read this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt, those Black Nose Crappie do give a good fight! Here lately, I've been catching quite a few here on Conroe.....