Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Something Yesterday That Fired Me Up

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Saw Something Yesterday That Fired Me Up

This is directed mainly at folks that fish Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

Yesterday Big Willie and I went fish'n. As I came into the bay I hit something with my lower unit. I stopped and looked back and saw a float. Went over and asked a buddy of mine if it was what I thought it was. He confirmed my fear. A DARN GILL NET!

What in the heck is the KDFW doing letting nets in the bays this time of year???!!! They caught a guy out here a couple years back with illegal nets! Now I'm not saying these nets are illegal. I realize commercial fishermen work hard and have to make a living too but... It is absolute ignorance to allow nets in the bays this time of year!

I call KDFW and check on if the nets should be in there right then. They told me that there was a special netting season that ran thru Mar. 31st. I said "do you realize these bays are full of crappie and bass right now?" He told me "we don't make the laws we just enforce'um." Or something to that effect.

I just went to a meeting in feb. of 2009, that the KDFW put on, that addressed the declining crappie populations in Ky and Barkley Lakes. They just had an artical in the local paper about poor crappie seasons ahead.

Makes me wonder what kinda idiots we got run'n this show. They'll tell ya "Oh these nets have to be a size that won't hurt the crappie." "They have to release all game fish." I told them at the meeting about me going over to commercial fisherman pulling nets to warn him about jigs hung in his nets and seeing the bottum of his boat coverd up with BIG crappie a couple of years ago. I asked the guy if he was keeping crappie. He said "no we gotta throw them back." And then tossed 1 over the side. I said "You need to throw them back before they die!" Paul Rister asked if I reported it. I said "you darn right I did." Ask anybody that was at that meeting. They'll back me up.

BS!!!!!!!!!! They can say what they want to. I've been around nets all my life and I know what gets caught in'um and they don't live after they get caught!!!

We need to raise some **** about this! Those nets need to be out of the bays by the last of Feb at the latest.

Call or Email Paul Rister (Ky fishers Biologist) and raise ****! I did! If we don't speak up it will keep going on!

What in the Heck are they think'n?!!!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-17-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with these lakes, but am wondering.........what the heck are they putting nets in a lake for?

Post Thanks / Like

Cut a few nets up and that should make them think about net placement.
    Politicians should be required to wear their corporate sponsors uniform like NASCAR !

Post Thanks / Like

commercial fishing, probably catfish or carp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Line View Post
    Cut a few nets up and that should make them think about net placement.
    Not a good idea, as long as it is legal then the commercial fisherman deserve the right to make a living. Im sure you wouldnt like if someone came to your job and destroyed half of your paycheck so they could enjoy there recreation.. If it was illegal then it would be different.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd cut em and say they fouled in your motor!!!!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    I'd cut em and say they fouled in your motor!!!!!!!

Fatman
    Still doesn't make it right. I'm not defending the commercial fishermen, but they are just trying to make an honest living. Just because they did something wrong or by mistake doesn't envoke the right for someone else to destroy their livelyhood. That is what we have Game Warden's for and not vigilante justice....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Il Duckshewter View Post
    Still doesn't make it right. I'm not defending the commercial fishermen, but they are just trying to make an honest living. Just because they did something wrong or by mistake doesn't envoke the right for someone else to destroy their livelyhood. That is what we have Game Warden's for and not vigilante justice....
    From the sounds of it they have done nothing wrong nor illegal. The bilogogical basis for the regulations and commercial season may be lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

We've got a commercial fisherman who runs nets in a lake at the landowner's request that I fish a lot. The Game & Fish Commission fisheries biologist did an electro shock study of the lake, and one of his findings was that there was way too many buffalo in the lake and recommended that as many as possible be removed. That's why the landowner got the fellow in there.

I've watched him run his nets, and I have yet to see a bass or crappie that was in the nets: the mesh is just too big to catch them. The nets will be full of buffalo with some carp, gar, and big catfish.

The guy works hard and tries to do right and is providing a valuable service for that lake. I really don't know how else you can get significant amounts of rough fish out of that lake or any other lake without a commercial fisherman.

I know there are bad apples here and there: guys who are using nets with a small enough mesh to catch crappie, but I don't think you can tar them all with the same brush because most of them are law abiding, hard working folks.

I do know that the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission sets the minimum mesh size on commercial nets, and evidently they have it pegged pretty much right. Maybe Kentucky allows a smaller mesh size that might catch crappie and bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Il Duckshewter View Post
    I agree, Duckshewter. Whiskers had the right idea, to begin with. Take it up with (or out on) the elected officials who make the laws and establish the regs, NOT the fishermen. If a commercial fisherman is violating the laws / regs, then he should be reported, just as should a recreational fisherman who is in violation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast