PDA

View Full Version : Smithville?????

Jim C.
12-19-2005, 06:59 PM
With the weather going to be better by the end of the week hopeing to try Smithville Fri. morning. Does anyone know if the lake is open enough to fish & what ramps are open. Thanks Jim C.

cook
12-20-2005, 04:00 AM
Haven't been up by the south end but its froze up tight on my end.
Good luck.

Jim C.
12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Has anyone been by smithville this week????? Jim C.

Jim C.
12-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Went over to Smithville today went by every ramp i could get to everthing is still frozen. The main lake is open but you can't get out to it.Maybe with this warmer weather it will open things up i hope. Jim C.

cook
12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
you can always try under the marina at the dock.

cook
12-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Swung by the little platte,lots of current from the heavy rain thur.nite,but was still ice covered.Will prob.swing by today foe a look-see.

Made me want to get out my cat rods :)

bmoffitt30
12-27-2005, 05:06 AM
Well, now that I am back home in KC after about 2 weeks of being gone for work and Christmas, I am ready to get back to some fishing. If anyone drives by and sees that the boat ramps are open, let me know. I am itching to get back on the water.

bmoffitt30
12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Went "fishing" today. Not "catching". I wasn't the only guy wanting to enjoy a somewhat decent day on the water and I wasn't the only guy not catching fish. Where have all the fish gone in Smithville? Do I dare say, "they were all caught in the spring"?

wannalearn
12-31-2005, 04:12 PM
My last few trips to Smithville had not produced anything at all. :(

bmoffitt30
01-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Okay, I am a sucker for 45-50 degree days. I went out again today and got skunked again. That is 3 times in a row. The other 2 boats that I talked to did not have any bites either. Does anyone know what Burton's fishing report means when he says "running water"? Are they pulling the lake level down creating current that the crappie do not seem to like?

Here is what the report says...

While they are running water it seems to make the crappie fishing more difficult

crappieken
01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
bmoffitt - I have read that crappie try to avoid current when it flows faster than 2 mph. I fish docks at a marina at the upper end of the lake from November 1 until December 15. At that time the COE starts to draw the lake down to winter pool. The current is so strong that if you drop your jig down several feet, your line goes out on a 45 degree angle, making it almost impossible to fish vertically unless you go with a heavy weight. I also noticed that the fishing deteriorates rapidly at this time.

JIM 1
01-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Where are you fishing? Did you try the bridge pillars in Camp Branch arm, and on big Platte arm bridge? Where they catching any by the docks?

crappieken
01-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Jim 1 - If you were addressing your post to me, the lake I was fishing is Lake Shelbyville in Illinois. The COE drops the lake about 5 feet to winter pool starting December 15th. If you are fishing the upper reaches of the lake during drawndown, you catch a pretty good current until the lake reaches winter pool.

bmoffitt30
01-04-2006, 03:27 PM
If you were asking me where I was fishing, I was in Shady Hollow cove and then under the boat slips at Little Platte. I didn't try the bridge pillars. At this point, it may be awhile before I head back out. At least until the report seems to be a little better.

cook
01-05-2006, 07:05 AM
hey all,just arrived down in Fl. last night.I haven't been to the lake since it thawed on my end,so I can't comment on the fishing report.
As far as running water,the last I checked,they have been letting out 150 cfs for about 2 months steady.I have no facts to back it up,but I don't feel that this affects the fishing in the main lake one bit.Esp. for the time frame its been running,and the small amount.It might even concentrate some crappie in the spillway,it deffinatly does in the summer.