Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: If you would like to catch more crappie~~then think about ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you would like to catch more crappie~~then think about ...

Making and sinking some BRUSH PILES!
    It is not hard to do and you will have a location that others will not know about. You need to think about what kind of wood and what kind of location.
    As for the wood. Some wood last longer in the water longer than others. Cedar, walnut and hickory are some of the longest lasting wood. As for location. Place the brush NEAR a good crappie location, but not so near that others will stumble on it. Remember some states have regulation regarding brush pile installations (if that would stop you any way:D ). The brush pile does not need to be real big to hold lots of crappie. Like on the lake I guided every one fishes visible brush but never seem to locate submerged brush.
    L.M. Bass 9 pounds 0oz, S.M. Bass 6 pounds 4oz, Trout 8 pounds 4oz
    White Crappie 3 pound 2oz, Black Crappie 1 pounds 12oz
    Roger Ex-Silver Lake Bass guide (EBG) (10 years+)

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes sinking cover increases your catch. It also helps the fishery. I sink the bamboo condos now. Boo is the best thing I have ever found. The fish, all fish are drawn to it.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Hail To The Boo Boo!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One of the best "woods" ..

I've ever had the pleasure of catching Slabs off of .... was a very large Sycamore. The "bark" is thin and flakes off, leaving a white & slick trunk/branches. The trees get huge, and have scattered large branches ... making for lots of shade. They're probably not a tree that can easily be "sunk" (by weighting down) ... but, if one has fallen naturally, or found floating, then "helping" it sink will produce a very large & productive site.

I have also been told that a sunken Willow tree is a good Crappie hangout ... but, that they seem to prefer to suspend "above" the tree, rather than "in" the tree. Might make for a good deep water condo ... and still keep the fish in a catchable location, without having to hang up your jigs or hooks.

In my local Crappie lake - hardwood blowdowns & standing Cedar hulks are the most productive "wood", that I've found. Of course, a lot depends on time of year/depth of branches/depth of water ... as to which ones produce, when.

.........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Check local and state fish regs. before you sink anything, else you could be playing "hide the salami with Bubba"!

Post Thanks / Like

I have placed over 50 brush piles and the cops have yet to find them:D
    good luck!
    L.M. Bass 9 pounds 0oz, S.M. Bass 6 pounds 4oz, Trout 8 pounds 4oz
    White Crappie 3 pound 2oz, Black Crappie 1 pounds 12oz
    Roger Ex-Silver Lake Bass guide (EBG) (10 years+)