HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: alabama crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default alabama crappie

Moulton man catches record crappie
    By Paul Huggins
    Staff Writer

Daily photo by Paul Huggins
    Cornell Terry of Moulton with a large crappie he caught in Sinking Creek Reservoir in Lawrence County.

BUY THIS PHOTO
    Persistence and experience paid off for a Moulton man who appears to have reeled in the biggest crappie ever caught in Northwest Alabama, barely missing the state record.

“I was fishing for crappie, but I thought I hooked a catfish,” said Cornell Terry, 46. “It felt like a 10-pound cat. Man, I had a fight.”

Terry caught the 19-inch long fish Sunday at Sinking Creek Reservoir about six miles from Moulton in Lawrence County. It weighed 4.09 pounds when examined by Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

The state record is 4 pounds, 9 ounces, caught at Lake Martin in May of 2000.

The state credited Terry with the lake record for crappie and officially called it a “trophy” fish for being one of the largest crappie caught in this part of the state.

If the fish had eaten a bluegill for breakfast earlier that day, Terry said he’d likely have the state record.

Terry, fishing alone in a boat, used 6-pound test line on a Mitchell Ultracast rod and reel. He lowered his tube bait, tipped with a minnow, to a depth of 28 feet. Terry said he had been on the lake 11/2 hours when he hooked the fish shortly after 1 p.m.

It was the only fish he caught all day, he said.

“I almost panicked. I didn’t know what to think,” Terry said. “I didn’t even have a scoop net. I had to pull him out like a bass. And when I called the biologist, he didn’t believe I had one that large.”

Catching a fish that size involves luck, he said, but added he did possess the skill to know where to fish for crappie this time of year.

“That’s a fish you have to find, and this time of year, they’re in deep water,” Terry said.

He said he chose Sinking Creek to fish because it’s a deep lake; shallow lakes were too muddy to fish for crappie this past weekend.

Terry kept the fish alive in a horse trough until he could get it weighed by state officials. He said he would release it back into Sinking Creek.

“I plan on catching him again next year and getting the state record,” he said.
    SHUTUPANDFISH!!! SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION, MUST HAVE BEEN A GATOR OR LONGHORN FAN. ROLL AGAIN TIDE. HOOAH!

Post Thanks / Like

picture of the crappie
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SHUTUPANDFISH!!! SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION, MUST HAVE BEEN A GATOR OR LONGHORN FAN. ROLL AGAIN TIDE. HOOAH!

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow,now that's a crappie.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

man it would be hard to let that one go. but i am proud of the guy, still some conservationist out there.