Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best handheld GPS for the money

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best handheld GPS for the money

Looking for a handheld gps to mark my honey holes and keep my speeding while trolling. Any suggestions on which one to buy? Theres hundreds out there but I just wonder which is best for on the water? I'm not really wanting to spend a fortune, thats why i'm steering away from the depthfinder/gps combos. I know some I've seen take a rocket scientist to figure out as well, Just a good cheap, easy to operate handhelp GPS!! I need my speed to read below 1mph as well. I know, its a lot to ask!! Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Garmin E-trex, and can't get anywhere near my waypoints. I can't tell you which one to get, but I can tell you which one not to.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

This will be my 4th. season with a Garmin Etrex, Legend Cx handheld. I have probably 50+ waypoints marked on it and have several "milk runs" routed as well. Very easy to use. Reliable. May be a bit more $$ than you want to spend, but I find the added features worth it.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Default hand held gps

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiecrazy fireman View Post
    Looking for a handheld gps to mark my honey holes and keep my speeding while trolling. Any suggestions on which one to buy? Theres hundreds out there but I just wonder which is best for on the water? I'm not really wanting to spend a fortune, thats why i'm steering away from the depthfinder/gps combos. I know some I've seen take a rocket scientist to figure out as well, Just a good cheap, easy to operate handhelp GPS!! I need my speed to read below 1mph as well. I know, its a lot to ask!! Any suggestions?
    crappiecrazy I'am from OH and do a lot of hunting up north. I bought a garman 60gxs last year, and love it. It also holds a micro chip for land or water, Git on garmen web and read about it. Just got back from weiss the 1st week of march, snow and cold, but had a good time. Good luck on the GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance iFinder H2o works pretty well for me. Most gps units offer a ton of things that require you to be employed by NASA to understand. That being said, it's all ran from satellites. Chances are if your cell phone has 4 bars, you're going to be able to get a more exact location. Just drive down the road with one and then drive back on the same route. Sometimes your path looks just perfect....next thing you know, your gps says you're driving left of center, or off the road compared to your other path.

The ifinder does seem to have a pretty consistent speed with others. It's not whether I'm really moving at .7 or .9 mps, it's more about making sure I can be consistent. It's really best to go with color if you're going to try and follow routes. You'll end up having to use the light because the sun's too bright, or the moon's not bright enough. Lights use batterys, quick. If you just want to be able to find your location, and not constantly having to check your info, then save a hundred bucks and opt not for the color.

I'm a real smart guy, so smart I used to think I'd always remember this spot and that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Garmin Oregon 200.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Lowrance H20 . I got the B & W version. Everyone tells me the color will not show speeds under
    1MPH.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I have a Garmin E-trex, and can't get anywhere near my waypoints. I can't tell you which one to get, but I can tell you which one not to.
    I have the old yellow Garmin Etrex and it works great. I have over 200 waypoints to fish Nimrod Lake. I even fished them without a hitch when depthfinder quit! Yours may be defective or it could just be the operator. I have taugh several folks how to use them around here, they all love the Etrex. You can buy them real cheap on Ebay.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Have had my garmin 72 for a long time and have been pleased with it. You can probibally pick one up on ebay for less than 75 dollars. It reads speed down to the tenths.

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldwun View Post
    I also have the Lowrance H20 . I got the B & W version. Everyone tells me the color will not show speeds under
    1MPH.
    I can attest to that. (H2O color) At less than 2 mph, it's pretty much worthless.
    BSRRofl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast