Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice Fishing, Kind Of!

WishenIwasfishin Guest

Thumbs up Ice Fishing, Kind Of!

Went to Carlyle to one of the brush piles I fish off the bank. Lots of ice with a few holes here and there. It was a cold north west wind. The spot I was fishing in had open water when I got there about half the size of a basket ball court. First cast, bang a nice 11" fish. I was a little surprized due to the weather conditions. I started fishing at 1:30 and had a limit by 3:00. The hole was freezing up the whole time I fished. I eventually ended up casting onto the ice and dragging the cork back into the hole. The fish seemed to be stacked up real thick in hole and I don't even know if I was over brush, I never got hung up. The funny thing was that I probably caught 40 fish but, only landed 14 due to the darn things getting hung up on the ice that was shrinking my fishing area. Only one fish was a short out of all that I caught . I use ten pound whiplash for line and swear by it. I only lost one jig to the ice. It will straighten the jig out just about everytime before it breaks. I did better today than I did all spring at this lake. I guess if you put in your time in any weather you will eventually get em! Looks like that will be it for four or five days with these cold temps!
    Take it slow,
    Wish

Post Thanks / Like

Wish - It seems on Shelbyville that I catch my biggest fish just before ice-up and right after ice out. One day in February I got to the lake and found open water from the shore to about 20 feet out from the bank. I would cast my jig and bobber on the ice and then reel it off into the water. The second my jig fell off the ice I had a hit. I was only fishing about 18 inches deep. Another day I was fishing some open water off a point as there was still a very thin layer of ice as you headed up toward where the creek came into the lake. By afternoon with the help of the sun, higher temps, and a good wind, the ice broke up and the wind blew it into the shore. I immediately started working the open water and again I had my limit of 11 to 12 inch crappie in a very short time. I am happy to see you doing so well there on Carlyle. I may have to give that lake some consideration this coming year.
    Ken

WishenIwasfishin Guest

This is all new to me. I grew up on the east coast salt water fishing. I have been having a good time fishing for crappie! It's a lot of trial and error for me so far but, I have been getting better at reading the way these fish go about there ways. When I think I have them figured out they throw me a curve ball. I guess that's why they call it fishing not catching. Buy the way they were hitting red and chart like gang busters today!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Wish. My son is stationed at Scott. Just got there last year and has only fished in the base lakes so far. He is the First Sgt in the Weather Sq. If you are interested in showing him your techniques, shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll pass it along to him. Thanks.