Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: KC Star-Pomme Best Bet for Missouri crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default KC Star-Pomme Best Bet for Missouri crappie

2010 fishing outlook for Missouri......copied from Kansas City Star

2010 fishing outlook for Missouri and Kansas - KansasCity.com

BEST BET

•Look for big things at Pomme de Terre this year. Surveys last fall showed that densities had improved dramatically compared with past years. A good portion of the population exceeded the 9-inch minimum length limit. Excellent shad spawns the past two years should produce good growth rates. Biologists anticipate the fishing to be noticeably better this year.

BEST OF THE REST

•Smithville looks poised to produce some outstanding fishing. In surveys, 40 percent of the white crappies collected were legal size (9 inches or longer). … Stockton also has a growing population, and produced some impressive catches during the winter. … Others to try: Lake of the Ozarks, Truman and Wappapello.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob. If the floods stay away it should be an excellent year on pomme!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My question is what effects the construction on the spillway area of the dam at Pomme will have on the crappie fishing? I haven't seen any updates in The Index the Hermitage newspaper for a month or so. But I do know from what I have read in the past that they will be getting to a point somewhere in the construction where they will only be able to let out a small amount of water from the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it need to add pomme to the list of lakes to try this year!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Nice to know.
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Post Thanks / Like

Note: Table Rock is not on there. Caught some little ones yesterday. So hopefully it'll be on the list in three years.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I can pretty well update you on how outlet construction project will affect the lake level. Until about Sept 15 of this year there will be no effect. After that date the Phase II contractor will be allowed to request a maximum 5 foot drawdown of the lake level to act as a "freeboard". Almost certainly the request will be made and granted. Once the contractor is in the stilling basin and water being bypassed over the construction area, releases will be limited to about a maximum of 100 CFS. If the lake level due to heavy rainfall reached a certain predetermined elevation (somewhere in the 856' or so range) the COE will give the contractor a day or two to vacate the construction site, and remove anything that would prevent higher releases. The releases would then begin until the lake can be drawn back down to "working level". Then the contractor would be allowed back in, bypass re-installed etc. and almost certainly some damages paid for lost time etc. etc. So unless there is some significant rainfall it shouldn't be too bad. But as anyone who fishes here much knows that one good rainfall in the fall and the 5 foot of freeboard goes bye bye. Its all dependent on fall precipitation.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news. I think I am going to try this week end.