Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod and Reel Combo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod and Reel Combo

What is a good rod and reel combo to use?Do you guys use spinning tackle?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use fish 3 rods at a time of my 6 catfish rigs,according to circumstances:

1) Abu 6000 reel on an 8' Ugly Stik, 25 lb test
    2) Okuma ABF 50 on an 8' Ugly Stik, 17 lb test
    3) Zebco 808 on a 7' Rhino, 30 lb test
    4) Zebco Hawg Seeker spinning combo 7' rod, 20 lb test
    5) Okuma ABF 90 on an Offshore Angler 12' Surf rod, 30 lb test
    6) Shakespeare SKP2000 on a 7-1/2' BPS Graphite Series, 25 lb test

Post Thanks / Like

abu 6500 c4 on 10 ft nite sticks...spooled with 25lb big game....awsome setups

Or for the big boys 8ft Cat Maxx Rod ...Abu 7000 Spooled with 40lb big game

GOTTA LOVE THE WHISKERS

Post Thanks / Like

I use some sort of cat combo (spinning) with 65#braid main line, 20# leader. Have broke a few leaders and straightened a few hooks but havent broke the main line yet :D

Post Thanks / Like

hey sos got to heavy leader with a smaller diameter line.....spider wire has like 50lb with 20lb diameter...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What are you going after? Channels? Flatheads? An all purpose rod/reel rig?

If you are looking for something that is inexpensive but can work all around as a cattin rig, you can't go wrong with an Ugly Stick rod. I personally reccommend using an Okuma reel with the baitrunner feature. they work great and allow a fish to take line without leaving the bail open. they are also adjustable on the tension so you can use it is current too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    8 ft berkley glow stik,flueger president 6760 with 20#

close to the river but not far enough from work
    Post Thanks / Like

shimano bait-runners are the ticket ....very versatile and has lots of options for use
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what type of fishing you'll be doing. Chances are that 90% or more of your fishing gear needs can be handled with a spinning reel that holds at least 80 yards, preferably more, of 17 to 20 lb line and a good 7 to 8 foot medium or medium heavy action rod.

Ugly Stik has some excellent 7 to 8 foot medium and medium heavy rods for spinning and baitcasting reels.

If you're out in a lake or major river chasing trophy Blues, then you'll want to move up in the size of gear you use.

The same is true if you'll be chasing big Flatheads.

Most people buy gear that is too big for the size of catfish they'll be catching. Be realistic and match the type of bait and fishing you'll be doing with your tackle. If you routinely catch Cats under 20 lb, then you won't need the 2x4 stiff rod with the Penn offshore reel spooled with 50lb test!

For many years when I was younger, my friends and I thought you had to have ABU 7000's spooled with 30lb line and rods as stiff as 2x4's for catfishing. Many still feel that way and the truth is, most will rarely, if ever, catch a catfish that requires that heavy of tackle.

Back then, we primarily fished creeks, ponds and shoreline of lakes. We used dip baits and worms 80% of the time and cut up baitfish the other times. I don't think we ever caught a cat over 20 lbs doing that kind of fishing.

It wasn't until we bought a boat and started learning how to really find the big Cats in Lakes and major rivers that we really needed that big gear.

My current set up for big water cats are Shakespeare 7 to 8 foot Cat rods and Team Catfish 1/2 and 3/4 ton rods with Quantum 1420's and ABU 6500's spooled with 50lb Power Pro braided line.

If I'll be fishing dip bait, worms or grasshoppers, etc. going after eating size Cats (in the 2 to 10lb range mostly), I'll be using a 7 to 8 foot medium to medium heavy action spinning rod with a Shimano spinning reel spooled with 12 lb test P line.

Just my opinion on Cat gear, your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the last 100 miles of the mo river, and i use 10 ft berkley glowstix with sheakpere tidewater 30 reels. I try to keep enough takle for a buddy or 2, so I need form over function. the rigs are less than 100$, spooled with 40# big game,Ive yet to break a rod, but the led lights are crap. thiss is ok though because thee things glow from end to end for a good while. Ive broke acouple reels, by throwing too much lead, (I'm hard on my stuff), but all in all thee reels are tough. these cheap outfits have easily hauled in 40 pound blues. I'm still new at this, but the fish are bigger every year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast