Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Eggs or Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Eggs or Minnows

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking for a place to buy live crappie minnows, not the bait kind, but actual black crappie minnows, or eggs to stock a few of my ponds on my property. There's no fish in any of these ponds, because they are mostly man made. I enjoy crappie fishing, and would like to stock one or two with some crappie to help keep the bugs down and so I can go catch a slab or two once in awhile. These aren't small ponds, these are large ponds that were created as overflow ponds. They are a few acres in size each.

So if there is a place to legally purchase minnows or eggs, please let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

forget the eggs you dont have the males to fertilize them, even if you did there is no guarentee that they will

Check with your local small town feed store, not tractor supply but, the guy that sells to farmers and ranchers. here in arkansas the fish day is every 3rd thursday and then you can buy all you want. i would even look into your state hatcheries and see if they can help you out, often times they will just scoop out a big net full and give them to you as long as you have a way to transport them
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie aren't a common fish in Washington. Everyone out here is all about salmon and trout. I'll definitely give one of the numbers a call and see what I get though. Thanks!

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate to tell ya. But you're gonna have to do it the hard way. Same way all those green carp find new water. Sneaky fishermen. Check state law regarding it.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the way your post is wriitten and the questions poised. I am going to make an assumption that you do not know a whole lot about about the subject.

I would investigate getting some fathead minnows stocked first. They will feast on the mosquito populations in the ponds. By establishing the food chain first your ponds will support a good population of fish. Fatheads breed profusely and would only need a years headstart. What I mean by this is to give the minnows one year to breed before adding the crappie.

Young crappie feed on bugs but as they grow they need a good minnow population to prey upon. Minnow are bought by the pound and are inexpensive compared to the fish fingerlings.

Talk to some other owners of ponds close to you. Fond out what specied of fish has worked well for them. Try reading a book or two on pond management.
    Last edited by hays47; 03-13-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Garminarmin gpsmap 1040 xs networked with Garmin gpsmap 1242 xsv , Panoptix PS 30 and PS 31. Livescope LVS 32

Ice rig Echomap Ultra 106SV with LVS 12 and GT10-IF