Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical Rod Holders

I'm back at it again...trying to make something so I don't have to blow a lot of money! I want some kind of vertical rod holders to mount to the sides of my console to store my long poles in when making a move down the lake. I've seen several for sale, but most or 3 holder set-ups and I need two 4-holder set ups.

The actually holder will be piece of cake to make out of PVC pipe. Just cut the length you want and notch the top so the reel will sit down in it. My question is how to bind the four holders together and then what to place the holders on to mount to the boat? I would rather not use wood. All the store bought ones seem to snap together. Anybody made anything like em?

Below is a link to what I'm trying to make...

Berkley Tube Rod Holder

or

Bass Pro Shops Rod Holder - 2 Rod
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...transport.html

Scrapper's a friend of mine. I've seen his and built a set for my dad's boat. They work great.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Buster,

How about just another piece of PVC split long ways? In fact, two pipes.

Take a 1" piece of PVC and a 1-1/4" piece and split them long ways to about 18". Put the curved side toward your rod holders and the open side to the console. With the two pipes, one inside the other, you can snug it down tightly to the console and not worry with breakage from torquing during cold weather. Just bolt the holders to the split pipes, then attach to the console by bolting through the split pipes between the holders.

I've only shown one split pipe in this sketch, but you might use two for more strength. Also, I've only shown 1 holder and 1 "rail".
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3" or 4" PVC

Desired length (1' - 2') of mentioned sizes above mounted horizontal with 1 - 1 1/2" holes drilled on top and bottom. Holes 4 rods vertical while traveling for less than $4.00. Mount directly to the boat.

When I first saw it, I was kicking myself in the butt for not thnking of it.

Post Thanks / Like

go to a plumbing supply house and get split ring holder for the size pvc you are using. you will need 6 for one run across your 4 holder 3/8 all thread will conect them together. I would paint the rod and rings. if u do them right it will last for ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Crappie, Plumcrappie,

Do you guys have any pics? I am looking to do the same thing. I have had the cheap ones from Bass Pro and they broke after one season.
    http://kansasoutdoorsman.com/

Post Thanks / Like

No I don't! Simple & easy to make.

Sorry!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Made these and installed 'em Friday. You can get the PVC board from Home Depot, and PVC pipe anywhere.

Believe me...those stainless steel machine screws, nuts, and washers are EXPENXIVE!!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default eight rod holder

I had a couple diff. setups in my 2002 Tracker, but I just bought and installed one of these as it fit nicely into the smaller area in front of the cockpit. The aluminum base is made by Swivel-eze and must be purchase seperately. My boat happened to have one already in it.

Cabela's Quick Stow Rod Rack

If you don't want to buy it, maybe this will give ya some ideas.

YD

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

here is the way i made mine and have had no trubble at all with them.

Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-15-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast