Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for the Stage and Spawn - Roosevelt Bound

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time for the Stage and Spawn - Roosevelt Bound

In case I look new, a new archery deer obsession has made me into a seasonal fishermen, sorry for those with issues on that! It's tough fitting in all of Arizona's great outdoor activities into one calendar year.
    Cold fronts seem to be coming back and forth but hopefully for the spawn sake they will stay away and the fish need to eat!
    Roosevelt has been my spring residence since I was 10 and although I am young I believe I know a thing or two about Arizona black crappie.. They are different from all of these other states!! Tough to catch, finnicky on what kalins grub to hit on which day or even part there of.. Do I tip it with a minnow and hit it with smelly jelly or just trail a small red hook? Regardless those fish are out there, they need to eat and so do I!!! I haven't fished Roosevelt efficiently for crappies since last may, I'm hoping the crappies like their new home and have filled in the space cause the water changing is the last few years has been crazy..
    My season officially starts this Sunday, I plan on getting out there every weekend after and plan on sharing information here with you all!
    Just was excited to come on and say hello, my posts will contain more when we can really see how this year plays out!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crapkid, glad to hear your input! Some of the guys here are heading up this weekend and next. I'll be there on the night of the 25th. Never been so any info you guys can offer before my trip will be appreciated. I am going to take minnows of course and two green submersible lights. Anyway, post on brother and let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZfisherdude View Post
    Hey Crapkid, glad to hear your input! Some of the guys here are heading up this weekend and next. I'll be there on the night of the 25th. Never been so any info you guys can offer before my trip will be appreciated. I am going to take minnows of course and two green submersible lights. Anyway, post on brother and let us know how you do.
    Thanks, IMO the submersibles work better in April-June but anything can happen we all know that. I usually nightfish in an area I had caught crappies in recently before and if the baitfish don't come within the first 30 minutes they probably aren't coming at all. I have had luck throwing small spinners at night from the dark into your light hopefully trailing in some predatory fish, not to catch on the spinner itself but use it to attract and vibrate to the light. Have only done this a couple times but it does seem to help one night last year in april at roosy I caught 3 yellow bass in the the first 30 minutes throwing a spinner like that then I saw fish hitting minnows under the boat.
    Those yellow bass have moved into some of my favorite coves in the last 2 years prior I had never seen one in roosevelt!! Wondering if the apache drain had anything to do with that...

Grubs, Jigs (Roadrunners too), minnows, and trolling should put you on some fish, My guess it that they are still going to be suspended in deeper water. I'm going to start fishing in 30-40 feet at 6-12 feet deep and work out the kinks from there, GPS every catch and take every note these fish work in patterns.

Good Luck. To anyone interested I'm in a camoflauge bass tracker let's share a report and catch some fish!!!

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's still a little cool out at night for the night bite dude.For you I mean,not the fish.lol.Go up to Schoolhouse Point,when you put your boat in at the ramp go to the Right,about 500 yards and cross the lake till you see white cliffs,all them coves at the mouthes of them hold crappie.Stay in about 25 to 30 foot of water at first until you catch one.Have an old bobber with you on about 30 foot of line.Put a hook on it and let the fish go.Put the hook through it's dorsal fin.And watch where it goes.The bobber will show you where the school is.Then have at it.You can get your bobber later.Make sure you have a bigger bobber.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    It's still a little cool out at night for the night bite dude.For you I mean,not the fish.lol.Go up to Schoolhouse Point,when you put your boat in at the ramp go to the Right,about 500 yards and cross the lake till you see white cliffs,all them coves at the mouthes of them hold crappie.Stay in about 25 to 30 foot of water at first until you catch one.Have an old bobber with you on about 30 foot of line.Put a hook on it and let the fish go.Put the hook through it's dorsal fin.And watch where it goes.The bobber will show you where the school is.Then have at it.You can get your bobber later.Make sure you have a bigger bobber.
    Seriously one of the coolest tricks I have ever heard. Probably number one thanks for that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do that until you catch a little dink,lol.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Now thats a neat trick.We have not been fishing for crappie for about 10 years.When we did we never caught that many so we gave up on them.We are going to start up again this year.I need to try to figure out how to catch them buggers.We never caught more than 6 in a day.go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

I should'nt be telling you guys all of my tricks,lol.But, Schoolhouse Point Campground is where I go at least once a month for the whole weekemd.And we probably catch 100 a trip.Only keep maybe a dozen or so.I love that end of the lake.And the flatheads will start running up the Salt.Great time for Roosevelt coming up.So,if you see a 95 white Pro Deep V-17 Bass Tracker leaning to the side it is me,lol.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I think I mentioned this before but I am in a camoflauge 17 ft bass tracker, unfortunately my bow mount troller crapped out this summer trolling for rainbows so i'll be the guy with his hand on his motor too.. I fish the salt end less often but this year like any other I follow the fish. Hope to see you out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have Ya Tried Spinners

Have you tried any of these up there?I use them to find the crappies,then do whatever works after that.At least you know there are some around.I just starting tying the ultra minnows,but used to use a white crappie thunder on a 1/16 pz. minnow head.These are 1/10 oz. with calf tail.I can't wait to try them out.Hope the bass can stay away for a little while.I'm hungry,lol.
    Last edited by azslabber; 08-07-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast