Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Jimmy, he got her running!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hey, Jimmy, he got her running!

Jimmy,
    Doug finally took a deep breath, filled a trash can with water, and tried Dad's old Seahorse today. It took a few tries, but once she fired, she ran pretty smooth. The best part is that he only had to clean the carb, not rebuild it. He was much relieved that the magnetos and coils were still good.

Now that he knows it's running, he needs to do a few other minor things on it. Looks like we just might have a quicker way to get around next year. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

roberta
    you will need to change the water pump . it probabley still pumping but if it has ben sitting for several years it is dry rotted . it will start deteroating and pices will plug the water passages and it will have to be compleatley disambled to clean it out . there is a good site for info on parts ane advise it is . the marine doctor .com . a great site for info on all motor and boat repair . i go there just to chat and read up on the how too`s and there is a few games . now a new chat on teamspeak 2. you can use voice there is a chat and a shout box that you can type in a message .go give it a try . you will learn how to git your old motor going with out a high shop bill .
    papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i was in ripley ohio 3 weeks ago . went to kentucky to see my daughter . went across the river at mayesville . nice place to visit but wouldnt want to live there . i am a so. ga . river rat :D
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Johnson Sea Horse- Roberta

Congratulations Roberta , On getting the old sea horse running again.I bet that was like music to your ears. The old sea horse twins sure do run good when they are right. Glad the magneto was still in good shape. If that carb. is in good shape it will idle slow enought to troll. You can count the revolutions of the engine when they get down to a low idle. Hope the fishing has picked up in your area. Good luck! Your Friend, Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, Jimmy

Next on the job list is changing the gearcase oil. Doug didn't want to tear down any more than he had to until he knew if the magnetos were good. Over the winter, we'll probably take it to town to have it checked out by a pro, but so far, so good. The local boat shop was able to refer us to a place in Texas that has lots of these old parts in stock and they were quick to ship the fuel filter that we ordered.

Daddy was somewhere with a beer in his hand and a big smile on his face. - Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 10-03-2004 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Typos

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Old Johnson Parts

Hey Roberta, Will you share your used parts source with me ? I have a 1964 Johnson four h.p. twin that I need a prop for. Thanks in advance, Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sure thing

It's Stone & Sons Marine in Houston, TX. Phone number is 713-686-9997 Website is http://www.outboard-parts.com

They specialize in parts for old Johnsons and Evinrudes.

- Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 10-03-2004 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Old Johnson Parts

Thanks Roberta ! Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome!
    Good fishing to you, Jimmy. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Deal!

Hey Roberta,
    Happy to hear you finally got your dad's old motor running? I had wondered if ya'll had given up on it. I would like to second Papasage's advice on the water pump. It would be a shame to lose it now.---Pooch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast