Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Fishing

So went out today and tested some ice on a farm pond here in NW Missouri. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that the ice is plenty thick for some icefishing (3"-5").

Happened to have an ultralight with me and dropped a jig down a hole I created with a rock. No luck. But I plan to go back. Without much experience on the ice...what are some basic tips and suggestions ya'll have?????
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never ice fished, but I would try it once. A few guys I have talked to said a hut(ice house), a heater, tv, and plenty of beer were their necessities. Haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charger4404spd
    I have never ice fished, but I would try it once. A few guys I have talked to said a hut(ice house), a heater, tv, and plenty of beer were their necessities. Haha!

Ive never ice fished either. but seems to me a hut with a heater would not mix to well with ice.....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC
    Ive never ice fished either. but seems to me a hut with a heater would not mix to well with ice.....lol
    Thats exactly what I told them. Apparently, the ice way up north gets pretty thick!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charger4404spd
    Thats exactly what I told them. Apparently, the ice way up north gets pretty thick!

Yeah well you aint gonna get my big ol behind out on any ice no matter how thick it is :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Fishing....

Well with that last cold front that went through I thought we would have ice early for sure. I am from southeast Kansas and right now we are in limbo. Not good enough for ice fishiing and dam sure can't get the boat on (witht he exception of Melvern). I ice fished several times and we usually hit the back side of dams or over sunken brush in river edges in the lake (where we normally fish out of a boat). One of the first things you will notice is the "sounds" of ice cracking and the ice cracking itself. I have been on ice a ft deep and know its safe but when you hear that stuff pop and crackle it makes you wonder. Just play it safe...I would make sure it was at least 4 inches thick.

Good Luck!!

jd
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC
    You are thinking of a blast furnace, and what we use are little heaters with little propane tanks that screw into them, and in a hut you have a floor between you and the ice and have a layer of air between the floor and the ice. The warm air rises and dosen't affect the ice, unless you sit in one spot for a very long time. 4 inches of solid ice will hold several people in a small area. I was going out this week-end and we had a warm spell for a week and we are back to square one with mostly open water.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drifter106
    Well with that last cold front that went through I thought we would have ice early for sure. I am from southeast Kansas and right now we are in limbo. Not good enough for ice fishiing and dam sure can't get the boat on (witht he exception of Melvern). I ice fished several times and we usually hit the back side of dams or over sunken brush in river edges in the lake (where we normally fish out of a boat). One of the first things you will notice is the "sounds" of ice cracking and the ice cracking itself. I have been on ice a ft deep and know its safe but when you hear that stuff pop and crackle it makes you wonder. Just play it safe...I would make sure it was at least 4 inches thick.

Good Luck!!

jd
    That popping and cracking and shifting is a good thing. That means that it is making new ice and is safer than quiet ice.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i am definately comfortable with the thickness of the ice we have on this particular body of water, I am more curious about rigs..... using jigging spoons, or minnows, or crappie nibbles etc.???? any pointers????
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

I do lots of ice fishing here in Northern Indiana and Southern Michgan. We mainly fish for Crappie in the evening and at night. We use glow jigs from Jamminjigs.com.and tip them with minnows.You will also need a good fish locator.The one I use is Vexilar FL-18.It will always show you if the hole you are fishing in has fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast