Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnow tank water conditioning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow tank water conditioning

Hey everyone. We're getting ready to set up the deep freeze for a minnow tank and i did get alot of good info off this site for that. Thanks everyone for helping there.

What i didn't find much about was the different levels the ph, ammonia, nitrates, and such are supposed to be at.

I did find a site with alot of good info like that but it was for keeping shiners in 70 degree water. I think the difference in 70 (for the shiners) to 50 degree water (for the minnows) would need much different test levels. So if anyone knows what these levels should be for minnows in 50 degree water, i would love to know.

I plan on getting a good test kit and learning how to keep the minnows in the best shape i can with chemicals and regular water changes.

Thanks, Jerry.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been keeping minnows in my garage since November. I started out with 3 lbs. and only lost a few. Last week I was about out so I put in 5 lbs. I have lost probably 100 or more in that time. I filter my water with a Homeade pump I bought from Sacolait. It filters the water through charcaol pellets and batting material. I too am wondering what is going on to kill so many. I have a 150 gal tank and I am running enough air pumps for 300 gal as well as running my discharge from my filter pump through a spray bar.

Post Thanks / Like

you need to add this to your water and you will be good to go....we use this in our tank at the bait shops in our 1000 gal holding tank and hold up to 40lbs for a week easy

Sure-Life Better Bait Minnow Holding Formula
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

might also need to use this if you are getting foam

Sure-Life Foam-Off
    Culprit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieKillerJigs View Post
    you need to add this to your water and you will be good to go....we use this in our tank at the bait shops in our 1000 gal holding tank and hold up to 40lbs for a week easy

Sure-Life Better Bait Minnow Holding Formula
    Is that the stuff that turns the water blue?

I am mainly looking for the values the PH should be at, the ammonia, and nitrates.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I always found the less I did to them the more they lived. Slimey I never had 5 pounds in my tank so I'm not sure. That's a lot of minners!!! I would think charcoal to remove amonia is the #1 thing to worry about. You remove that and the ph should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

i keep bluegill and creek chubs alive all summer long when catfish seasons in, all i use it the safe water stuff from walmart, i lose very few, put you 2 bottles in the bottom start filling it up and about 3/4 full put 1 more in and your set. For an oxygen i use a neb machine for breathing treatments.....then i use an old aquarium filter works great had the same one for about 4 years now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait View Post
    Guys I always found the less I did to them the more they lived. Slimey I never had 5 pounds in my tank so I'm not sure. That's a lot of minners!!! I would think charcoal to remove amonia is the #1 thing to worry about. You remove that and the ph should be fine.
    Yeah, I was trying to stock up since the only place around that sells by the pound is about 45 minutes from me. I have done several 30% water changes over the past couple of day's and they seem to be doing ALOT better. I think I just put to many in there. I am on well water so there are no chemicals present.(HOPEFULLY)

Post Thanks / Like

the sure life will level out all the Ph and amonia levels on its own...that stuff is awsome
    Culprit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to know the Sure Life stuff works, but i want to keep track of everything in the water.

Anyone know what the PH, ammonia, and nitrate levels should be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast