Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reelfoot hotspots

stang93 Guest

Default Reelfoot hotspots

Hi all, i'm going to reelfoot in april. It's my first trip does anybody have any good spots to go to on the lake? or any tips? thanks :D

Post Thanks / Like

usually in april when crappie fishing picks up the south end of the lake is the deeper part of the lake and alot of people fish out from Green Island point. It is not hard to find on weekends there will be over 100 boats in the area. reelfoot is a big lake and there is lots of areas to find fish, even some where it is not as crowded. There is structure all over and you should be able to find fish fairly easy.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reelfoot Trip

If you're going the 1st week in April, the crappie should be moving towards the shallow water. But it depends on the weather and water temps. I always go the 2nd or 3rd week and they are usually spawning or close to it. If you look for boats all bunched up in a certain location such as Green Island Point that will tell you the fish are biting there. That is the deepest water on the lake. Swan Basin is just around the corner from Green Island and has water ranging from 3-10 ft deep.

If the crappie are in shallow, you can try Bell's Stumps (4-8 ft), If they are already in the trees spawning, Kirby's Pocket and Buzzards Slough are good places to try.

The locals spider rig and slow troll over the stumps. If you can get a day where the wind is 3-4 mph it's just as easy to drift sideways with the wind and drag jigs and minnows at different levels. When you start catching fish, mark the area, and keep drifting over the area.

If it is windy, and it will be (always is) you can try fishing the lily pads in close to the bank or in the canals for bluegill out of the wind. That lake gets very dangerous when the wind blows so use your head about your safety. I have spent a couple days on my trips several times sitting on the bank watching the waves crash onshore. You'll be fishing in a 12 ft jon boat with a 6 hp motor and that's not a good match against a 15-20 wind.

Good luck and I hope this helps you some. I'll be there the 3rd week this year so don't catch all the big ones. haha