PDA

View Full Version : fishing etiquette ?????

mrm1775
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
looking for general opinion. You are out fishing, another fisherman pulls up in the same area and starts fishing the SAME area. Cool or not cool??? How should it be handled. Very frustrating to me. I am just wondering how others feel.

gracie1goose
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Let him fish. No need to be ugly to him, although I have the same primary response you are thinking. This happened to mme once, I struck up a conversation and he became a fishing buddy and taught me a lot on how to fish where I was fishing. You never know, it may work out to your advantage.

guest01
03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
not cool, start your motor, do a few loops around him to mess the fishing up and move to another spot

Quicksilver1958
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Let him fish. No need to be ugly to him, although I have the same primary response you are thinking. This happened to mme once, I struck up a conversation and he became a fishing buddy and taught me a lot on how to fish where I was fishing. You never know, it may work out to your advantage.

+1

wwwUncle
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM

+2

feelay
03-08-2010, 09:43 PM
As long as he is considerate about not blocking or squeezing you out, be friendly and share.

talltimber
03-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Doesn't really bother me. I 'm used to fishing with several other boats around. Same treetop may be pushing it, but the same AREA (say within thirty yards or so) no biggie at all. He might have put some cover down or something you can't see.

GCD
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
looking for general opinion. You are out fishing, another fisherman pulls up in the same area and starts fishing the SAME area. Cool or not cool??? How should it be handled. Very frustrating to me. I am just wondering how others feel.

There's only 2 civilized people on the lake, me and you... and I have my doubts about you!

Fishawk
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Not Cool! I usually say something like "big lake ain't it?! Sometimes they take the hint sometime not.

RCC
03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Be friendly. They may be packing heat:eek:

Fisherman_Wantabe
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
As long as he is considerate about not blocking or squeezing you out, be friendly and share.

X2

Fisherman_Wantabe
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Be friendly. They may be packing heat:eek:

What has that got to do with it :confused: I'm always packing as you say, and you can fish around me all you want as long as you don't want my spot. :D

RCC
03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm always packing as you say, and you can fish around me all you want as long as you don't want my spot. :D

Sounds like we need to tag team a brush top somewhere. You could keep the intruders away while I got a little fishing done:D

jwz4
03-08-2010, 11:22 PM
depends what kinda fishing they are doing...

Wichita
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
The more the merrier as long as there is respect for each other. You know when someone's being friendly and when they're not! Heck I love meeting fellow fishermen. I once had a bass tournament boat ask me to move???? and I told him it was a public lake move around, then he hit my boat with a lure and p'd me off! Needless to say my boat oar made a gentleman outta him when I whacked his pretty little fiberglass finish!

slimeyslab
03-08-2010, 11:57 PM
If you are fishing around me you must be looking for conversation and not fish. I like to talk, so come on in..lol..

buffalo13
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Not cool, but just out fish him and stay with it..

Foxy
03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
the molotv cocktail: enforcing proper etiquette since 1856:D

GRIZZ
03-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Depends on the situation. If it's a big spot and him fishing it doesn't effect your catch then fine. If it's a small spot and he crowds you or if it's a big spot and he drop right in where your fishing, it is definitively not ok.

First, what Crappieday suggested is offensive. The rule on the water is be civilized, and treat the other guy how you want to be treated. If an angler being a jerk he deserve an ear full, but taking action against someone because of a fishing spot is childish and dangerous.

Personally, in that situation I will start by saying something with and even temper and give him a chance to back off. If he ignores me or responds like a jerk, I'll ruin his day as long as he is in earshot. I'm a good talker, and I have a very even temper, so that may not be in the cards for everyone. If you don't have the gray matter say the right things, then back off. It's a fishing spot, not your living room.

sportsman223
03-09-2010, 02:35 AM
When people coming like that most of the time they don't have a clue so there looking to see what others are doing. Come on in I will tell what I know someone had to teach me the ways. Know if-in you get nasty well I will make a point to ruin your day.
Life is to short , the nexted guy or gal you meet on the water might be your new nexted fishing buddy

speck tackler
03-09-2010, 07:10 AM
While it is not "cool", and I don't do it to other fishermen, I don't let it bother me... as long as they are fishing. What chaps me is when I am fishing and get buzzed by a pleasure boater, or a water skier, or a jet ski!!! Nothing like E-A-S-I-N-G up in a cove, careful not to make a sound, E-A-S-I-N-G the anchors down, and getting buzzed by a jet ski. :mad::mad::mad:

plumcrappie
03-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I dont want someone to pull up and fish my marker, but if I'm fishing a tree top that has fallen over and landed in a creek (public matt) I dont care. my stuff is a different story. If you find it, fish it when I'm not their. I live in a cove on Old Hickory that a lot of people fish during spawn, and we are all on top of each other and usualy catching fish having a good time. every body knows the spot so no one can say anything to any one else. It is all natural, at least 5 trees in a creek bed that good old mother earth droped. I live in the cove but its not my hole any more than yours. with all that said dont even pull up to my marker and start fishing, thats is just not cool.

Matt Smith
03-09-2010, 08:20 AM
As long as I can't cast my lure into their boat, I don't mind them fishing nearby.

Wiskers
03-09-2010, 09:22 AM
If I'm fish'n a spot & have it marked I consider it mine till I'm done fish'n it.

If you're a guide and have a client and I know you put it out I'll back off and let you have it. Don't try to run me off though. I'll bow up on ya quick! I'll give it up but I won't let you take it. I figure that fella paid good money to catch fish and he should get what he paid for. Keep in mind, once it goes over the side of the boat it is community property, as is anything I put out. We don't own an inch of the bottom of the lake and thats where the stuff'is sit'n.

If you have kids with you, I will (and have) invite you in and probably let you have it all. :D

Several years ago a father and 2 small kids were fishing off the bank while I was out of casting range spank'n the crappie! It was kill'n those kids seeing me catch fish and them not. I couldn't stand it. I pushed into the bank and loaded all 3 in the boat and had 1 of the grandest days I've ever had! Those 2kids absolutly had a ball! I spent most of the rest of my day taking fish off the hook. We had almost 100 fish between the 4 of us. The fish had that hump covered up!

brushnjigs
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Not cool. What ever happened to respecting another mans water, who ever is there first let him have it.
A couple of years ago we had fished a crappie event here and we drew boat numbers for take off. I ran to a very small point with a road bed coming of the bank and started fishing. About 5 minutes later we had another competitor pull up and started fishing not 25 feet from us and kept trying to push me into the bank. Out of the entire lake he was determined to fish the same point. He had his wife with him, maybe his wife didnt know she was there, who knows. We just bit our lips and tried to deal with it. If she had not been there things would have gotten ugly, like right now. I could not believe the nerve of this clown. I have had some really crapy things happen to me in bass events, desperation kicks in and some people will do some really stupid things. Lets hope crappie anglers show more courtesy to fellow anglers in the future.

Hat55
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
How big a deal is it really, in the whole scheme things?

mrwillis
03-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Let them come...no worries. I just hope they don't mind me tying up to their boat. I've done that once to a boat that came right up next to me. I reached over when they drifted close enough, and put my anchor on their front deck, then turned sideways and had a conversation with them...but it was more one-sided. They didn't like it, and didn't stay long enough for me to get their name, or one of their sodas from their cooler.

I really don't care. All I try to do is extend the etiquette that I would want.

Mrwillis

hair jig
03-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Some people are just looking for a patteran because theirs wasn't working.
Just tyring to see what you're using so they can catch some fish too.

PBUG2009
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
more the merrier to me. i dont care now start crossing my line we have words then

MePreach
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I dont mind someone getting close as long as they dont cast into my casting range unless they ask! I try to keep in mind that I am out their to enjoy myself! My biggest problem with folks is their filthy talk and cursing when I am out trying to enjoy a day with my wife or one of my sons! Seems folks could watch their language when around others and learn a little respect! I think we as men should learn to control our mouths and actions.....just look at the generation coming up now and the lack of respect they have and what should we expect from them if WE DONT SET AN EXAMPLE FOR THEM TO FOLLOW? I guess I am a little old fashioned but I still believe in the GOLDEN RULE that i was taught...."DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU! not how they do you!

bjoyce66
03-09-2010, 01:24 PM
That happens all over as long as hes not so close that hes cutting you off or tangling into your lines I wouldnt worry about it too much. Sometimes its funny to see them get frustrated just because they are near you doesnt mean they will catch your fish.

Dogrockit
03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
That happens all over as long as hes not so close that hes cutting you off or tangling into your lines I wouldnt worry about it too much. Sometimes its funny to see them get frustrated just because they are near you doesnt mean they will catch your fish.No doubt,I bank fish 60 % of the time.......Dont even bother fishing on the weekends.......It even happens more to Bank fisherman; 4 or 5 boats around you(Keeping space)not having any luck,then you catch a fish,Its a trolling motor race to where I caught the fish.....I say "Dont you have a fish-finder on that rig?"They look at me like Im crazy or something...So if it happens,I just be as nice as possible.....It just kills me that Someone that calls themselves Fisherman Do that,Look back at the guy on the Bank like hes such a better Angler while hes hooking fish.

beagle man
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I like company, any time on the water, I however have found a lot dont, they don't like to visit, I understand and wont stay and bother them. enough room for all

rushcreekoutdoor
03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
LOL! But really, lots of people get mad when someone gets "too" close, but if we are honest, we all watch whats going on around us.

Look at it this way, when you are out there pounding them, and the boats come trolling in, don't you get just a little puffed up in the chest. I remember once fishing on Reelfoot about 5 years ago with my wife's grumpy grandad. He was a retired game warden and complained that in his whole life, he never caught anything on Reelfoot. I asked and asked and finally just got him a license and showed up to take him. We WHACKED them. It was one of those days that we just couldn't go anywhere without catching fish. As the day drew on, the boats just kept getting closer and closer. Finally, he poked me in the shoulder and told me to look back at the boats. About 20 feet behind us about 8-10 boats were lined up like a giant snake 30 feet apart! The closest one was about 20 feet from us. We all caught fish and enjoyed God's gift of creation.

And now on the other hand. . . . .

Yesterday, I took out 2 kids and their father fishing on Reelfoot after lunch. There were about 12 boats out there and it looked like everyone was having a good time. Perfect conditions, and the fish were biting. After we were there about an hour, someone in a boat about 250 yards from us let loose with a string of foul, vile obscenities. He appeared to be either cursing someone who "came too close" or drove by in a boat. I really couldn't tell for all of the obscenities. I was embarrassed b/c I love our area and most sportsmen have more respect than that. That was actually the second incident like that in about an hour. I really think that the Lord was showing me just how bad of an witness that I have been in my life. I still struggle with my language and find that it can go downhill in the wrong circumstance. I challenge all of you who profess to know Jesus to give control of your tongue to the Lord and to speak the truth when you face things like this.

Anyone who is looking for a blessing tonight and tommorrow night is invited to our last two Revival services at Mt. Carmel on Hwy. 94 just outside of Fulton tonight and tommorrow night at 7. Tomm. we will also have a community dinner at 6. The speaker is Eric Hixson with M.U.D. ministries. You may have seen him hunting on TV with Brock Ray's World of Outdoors. If you are going through turmoil, if you are suffering, or if you just know that you are lost alone, I strongly urge you to come and hear the message of the Gospel that he brings. It is compelling. Call me at 27-627-0184 if you want directions or just have questions.
God Bless
RCO

Wannabe...
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I think the difference is in the way each of us fish. Me, I never hunker down on cover for too long, so even if somebody horned in on me, I'd be moving on in 5 mins or less. I'm fishing an area, not a spot more often than not. So, it might get under my skin if I had a top I was working over and somebody moved in on the exact same top. Then again, I most likely wouldn't let it get to me.

Now, the way I envision some of ya'll fishing, pulling up anchoring down and fishing one piece of cover for an hour or more, yeah, that'd prolly get to me.

I fish the Old River Run below Grenada a good bit early each year and when it's on in there, it's not uncommon to have 50 boats in about a 150 yard stretch that's 30 yards wide. Down there, everybody is constantly moving around very slowly and often 1 is coming 1 way and the other from the opposite direction. I normally am the first to ease out and let 'em pass, then start fishing right at their prop as they pass slowly fishing by. I've seen folks get ticked at me for doing that, but from my point of view, I interrupted my fishing line for them and I don't see the harm.

Folks is weird though. Some get all hacked about all the boats, some get plumb conversational. I try to stay in the middle and be courteous. I'll talk if ya want and leave you alone if ya want. Works for me, cause I'm rarely hacked off about anything even in a crowd.

Then again, some of you gewbers is plumb ignernt. LOL.

Wannabe...

Radioactive
03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't mind as long as they don't get in the way of where I'm casting or dragging a line. Heck, if I'm catching anything I will gladly share the info and if they are really nice, maybe even give them a lure if they don't have the right color:)
I would never pull up next to another boat fishing a brushpile, even if I put it there. There are too many others in the lake and guess what? Almost all of them hold just as many and just as big of a fish. You can bet if you put brush there, others had the same idea, so use the locator and find another one in the general area and enjoy your day in spite of the change in plans:p

We moved away from here and spent several years in California and got fed up with the "ME FIRST" syndrome! We moved back here last year and are so happy to be back among folks who wave at you on the road (instead of the one finger salute)! and go out of their way to be friendly or help when they can, so I try to be nice until someone makes an @$$ of them selves.

Gee, I didn't mean to write a novel here, but my point is you really don't think much about how folks act until you move away and suffer culture shock, then the minor things don't seem worth making a big fuss over:D

brushnjigs
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Dont get me wrong, if I am not in a tourney I really could care less if someone comes in on me. I'm not there that long. Im not after numbers, just like to locate and make a few bite and I am off again.

bigbob
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Try fishing Weiss for the next month or so, it will test your nerves. It is follow the leader
all day long and most of the time within spitting distance in some of the coves up river.

mrm1775
03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
thanks for the responses. Alot have really given me a new outlook.

GCD
03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
There is a certain etiquette that some folks have either forgotten or don't know about... it's called manners, and I have mixed feelings about this question.

I fish big dammed reserviors, huge lakes! I don't like to fish around other people as a rule because of some of the jerkwads that you run into. I pride myself in finding fish where other people don't or won't fish. I usually like peace and quiet when I fish. It's a big lake and fish are all over the place, you should be able to find your own fish without having to encroack on someone elses space. Having said that...

This is the etiquette part.
If I'm bailing fish in a certain spot and someone sees me and wants to fish that spot with me, they should ask before coming in on top of me... something like "excuse me, but do you mind if I fish here too?"... my reply will be "Heck no Bubba, come on in there's plenty of fish for both of us!"
.. but for someone to just horn their way in without saying anything is just plain rude in my book!

If a spot is already crowded, you may not have to say anything... but it never hurts to ask.... if someone is fishing a spot by themselves, ask first. 9 times out of 10, if you are friendly and polite the other person will be too... but if he's a cranky old fart, you didn't really want to fish next to someone like that anyway... did you?

yankee doodler
03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
not cool, start your motor, do a few loops around him to mess the fishing up and move to another spot

Bad advice crappie.

GCD
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Bad advice crappie.

Yeah, if you're going to do anything malicious... just act stupid and keep casting over his line and tangling, won't take long for him to leave!:D

Flat Foot
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
I have certain places I fish and guess none of them are great because most of the time there is no one else. But when someone does pull up I talk to them. Jet skis and skiers are a pain in the you know what when you are fishing but they have as much right as you do to public water ways.

Limb Bream
03-10-2010, 02:24 AM
I guess I have been on both sides. I don't mind someone coming in on an area or spot I am fishing as long as they are polite and don't start trying to cut me off or hoard in on me. I won't take too kind to that. I have also fished by an area where someone else is fishing but it is usually when I am moving and I will go on by. I won't try to throw a bait right in the same area as the other fisherman. I call it common courtesy. Particularly on public waters, it is hard to say any one spot is yours. I have fished boat docks and been asked to leave the area because the dock owner put out brush for his fising enjoyment. I fish on by real slow. I have also had good conversations with dock owners while fishing inlcuding advice on how they are catching fish. It all depends on the person. I would like to think that people would treat me as I try to treat them. The lake is big and there are a lot of areas to fish. My 2 cents worth or has it gone up to 3 cents and is worth less??

Limb Bream

guest01
03-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Bad advice crappie.

not trying to start an argument but I have no problem showing others where to fish or how to, but if I am sitting on a spot or fishing a dock and someone moves in on top of me I am not just going to give it up. Thats why that sort of thing happens, to many people will just give up the spot to them. I fish big lakes and there is plenty of fishing spots around. If you want to fish where I am then they should show a little manners and wait till I am done and have moved on.Bad advise?? its my advise to a question that was asked what would we do if.

Wiskers
03-10-2010, 07:25 AM
I have certain places I fish and guess none of them are great because most of the time there is no one else. But when someone does pull up I talk to them. Jet skis and skiers are a pain in the you know what when you are fishing but they have as much right as you do to public water ways.

I am a towboat pilot and we deal with pleasure craft problems all the time and they do have a right to be on the water. I don't know about in La. but in Ky. there is a law that states... When you pass by someone who is actively engaged in fishing you must pass at no wake speed. It is never enforced!

I will get in someone's but for waking me bad quicker than moving in on my spot!

gabowman
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Been crappie fishing many years but just started longlining. Found out pretty quickly that if youre catching and others see you they'll have jigs out and start trolling the same general area youre in. I guess that's the norm for longliners since I've seen it almost everywhere I've fished.:rolleyes: It's alright though. Seems most try staying out of each others way.;)

JohnnyRazorhead
03-10-2010, 08:45 AM
not a problem. Just trim up the jet, give'em a good soaken. Then apologize. I must have forgot to trim down when I got here. Fishins good though. Help yourself. JK:p

High Bridge Hooker
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Usually dont mind but 2 years ago my wife and I were on ky lake.We had been catching fish out of 2 spots on a drop for 2 days we saw a boat watching us the second day. on the 3rd day we had droped our 2 markers about 20 feet apart and were fishing back and forth between them .The boat from the day before pulled up to one of our markers and droped anchor.We were the only 2 boats in the area I asked him to please not anchor on my marker when there was a whole lake out there.He then told me he would anchor anywhere he pleased using some bad language in front of my wife.When asked not to talk that way he then used some more of the same.I told him I had a problem with the language but no problem getting in his boat and kicking his behind.As I procedeed to pull along side of his boat and take off my life jacket he decided the fishing was better down the lake. some times you just have to talk to them right and they will move.

Herewego
03-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Been crappie fishing many years but just started longlining. Found out pretty quickly that if youre catching and others see you they'll have jigs out and start trolling the same general area youre in. I guess that's the norm for longliners since I've seen it almost everywhere I've fished.:rolleyes: It's alright though. Seems most try staying out of each others way.;)

This is true, I have seen up 30 boats trolling same area and if fish are biting most catch fish.

beagle man
03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Usually dont mind but 2 years ago my wife and I were on ky lake.We had been catching fish out of 2 spots on a drop for 2 days we saw a boat watching us the second day. on the 3rd day we had droped our 2 markers about 20 feet apart and were fishing back and forth between them .The boat from the day before pulled up to one of our markers and droped anchor.We were the only 2 boats in the area I asked him to please not anchor on my marker when there was a whole lake out there.He then told me he would anchor anywhere he pleased using some bad language in front of my wife.When asked not to talk that way he then used some more of the same.I told him I had a problem with the language but no problem getting in his boat and kicking his behind.As I procedeed to pull along side of his boat and take off my life jacket he decided the fishing was better down the lake. some times you just have to talk to them right and they will move.
best learn to leav your life jacket on in case you bite off more than you can chew you will still be able to float while they fish

GRIZZ
03-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Why don't we just all carry guns when we fish then if someone uses our spots we can just get in gunfights like the old west. Wweeee!! disclaimer - this is sarcasm for those of you who are to dense to recognize it. Obviously there are few people here who are. That last sentence was only half sarcasm. SMH.

hudnut
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
as long as he was polite about it and didn't try to "squeeze" me out, I say, especially in crappie fishing ,the more the merrier as long as the area is large enough to support more boats. Now, if he did that to me bass fishing, I would probably put my rod down making as much noise as possible and tell him, "didn't ,mean to get in your way,let me move." The wake would probably be kinda big when i left though. He would get the idea.

snakedodger
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
go to your next spot close by,start catching fish then say loudly FISH SWIM.

JBledsoe
03-10-2010, 06:42 PM

I agree, let him fish, UNLESS he is rude and trying to crowd me out.

J_ROW
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Now all you men (& ladies) need to remember the three R's you learned in school. And they ain't reading, riting & rithmitic. Some people have a long memory now don't ya know.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af64/J_ROW/FISHPICS/Three_Rs.jpg

TapOut64
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd like to know what the game wardens official stance is on this subject. I just think that there are too many jerks out there and if people keep biting their tougue they are going to continue being jerks. Sometimes it takes someone standing up to them to set them straight.

crappie josh
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
i dont think its a big deal as long as there respectfull of your fishing space and dont let there dog or kids throw or play in the water anywhere close they might be your next fishing buddy and usually ill give them a hand tied jig or two if there friendly and not catching anything

kyron4
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't mind if there equally respectful as I, and it's nice to talk with someone . It's when a bunch of half drunk idiots move in and every other word is "F" this and" F " that when you got your kids with you, and the throw their trash in the water and look at you just daring you to say something 'cause they're going do what they want and "i'll beat your a$$ if you got a problem" attitude. Then I just leave,it's sad but true and more and more common with this yonger generation these days. :( :( :( :(

talltimber
03-11-2010, 09:30 PM
It ain't just the young'uns, there are plenty of those crotchety old bass turds got the "i own this water and everything in it" mentality too, just sayin.

Bonehead
03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Had a boat bump m boat last year. I guess we were in his spot so he came up and actually bumped my boat. Appologized but by that time I decided to drop anchor and eat my lunch and put two more poles out....Ten minutes later he left....

Fisherman_Wantabe
03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Why don't we just all carry guns when we fish then if someone uses our spots we can just get in gunfights like the old west. Wweeee!! disclaimer - this is sarcasm for those of you who are to dense to recognize it. Obviously there are few people here who are. That last sentence was only half sarcasm. SMH.

Well if he gets too close with no reason, so be it. BUT IF he starts messing with me or mine! ???????????????????? I always carry.

gone_fishing
03-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Long as his lines dont get tangled up in mine I draw the line there.