Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Gas Refund

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Gas Refund

Thought some of you could use this. It may be too late for this year unless you keep receipts.

http://americanboating.org/fueltax.asp
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Highway use tax or sales tax?

Many states do not tax highway use fuel a sales tax, just the highway use tax. So when you ask for the refund they then tax it before giving you back the highway use tax. With fuel over $2.00 a gallon now this could be more than the highway use tax. So if the gas is $2.25 a gallon and the highway use tax is .14½ a gallon and the state sales tax is 8%, you will owe the state .03½ per gallon sales tax.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHead
    Many states do not tax highway use fuel a sales tax, just the highway use tax. So when you ask for the refund they then tax it before giving you back the highway use tax. With fuel over $2.00 a gallon now this could be more than the highway use tax. So if the gas is $2.25 a gallon and the highway use tax is .14½ a gallon and the state sales tax is 8%, you will owe the state .03½ per gallon sales tax.

Duane, you can get 17 cents back from Missouri if you use the gas for off-highway use aka use it in the boat or anything else. Last year I collected back 42 bucks, wasnt much but it was something. All you need to do is fill out the forms mail in your receipts and they will mail you a check. Its Missouri forms 4923 and 4925 http://dor.mo.gov/tax/business/fuel/forms/. I think this year I am going to have close to 400 gallons run thru my boat. Figures out to 68 bucks, wont buy much but will buy another tank of fuel or more tackle that I dont need.

I also heard that you can claim federal off highway tax, I am going to do some checkin in on it.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

In NC that would be 18 cent per gallon. Certainly worth looking into. Thanks