Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor ?

I have an older Johnson Trolling motor 24v, from my research it is a 42# thrust, but 24 V.

I am looking to replace it, should I spend the extra 200 on a 70# 24v or downgrade to a 12v system with a 55# and save $200?

Its a 18.5' Fiberglass

Post Thanks / Like

Buy all you can afford.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Often people get recommendations to buy more than they need, its easier to spend someone else's money than your own. In this case though on a glass boat this size wouldn't even consider anything less than the 70 / 24V. A 55# 12V might have enough thrust for 90% of the days you fish but if you are on it hard it will run drain your battery reserve much quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try a marine dealer and see if they have any used one's they'd sell you. I had the same TM you do and upgraded to a 58#, 24 volt for $150. If you have the choice of 12v or 24v at around the same thrust, go for the 24v. You'll have longer use on the water with two batteries pushing you around than you would with one. That's the route I took and I've been pleased. I have a 16 foot fiberglass fish-n-ski.

Post Thanks / Like

I just up graded to a 67lb 24 volt this year. Had a 40lb 12-24 and couldn't keep up with the wind on my 17 1/2' boat. I bought mine used for 225$ on craigslist

Post Thanks / Like

the only reason that I am considering the 55# is that this 42# motor served the previous owner just fine, and gaining 13 more lbs, and a bigger prop, I assumed the 55# would serve fine too, but I hadnt considered how fast it would drain the single battery
    Last edited by MellerAM; 03-08-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Meller, trolling motor manufacturers know that thrust is a selling point. A 41# OMC troller from that era would be closer to a 50-60# today. If you have what I'm thinking you do the model should be something like a "BF4S" shown on a small serial # / model plate under the foot pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

BFL4PV and I looked it up and it was like 42#

Post Thanks / Like

I dont spider rig, or troll for crappie at all. I only cast around docks, backs of coves. And if the wind is blowing 35 mph I'll probably be back at the cabin drinking beer, or somewhere out of the wind, so that dosnt bother me too much. What about running 2 batteries in parrallel? wouldnt that give me 2x the battery life?

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of boat is it?
    55# would work good with Aluminum boats. Iff'n it's a big Fiberglass jobby, I'd recon I go with the 70#+.

55# on two batteries would run you all day.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast