Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40HP outboard install -DIY Job or Not

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40HP outboard install -DIY Job or Not

I've slowly been rerigging my motorless boat preparing to have a motor put on. Everything is installed but the engine controls and the motor and the holes are leftover from the previous motor. Just how hard is it to install a 40HP remote outboard and hook up the controls? I've suprisingly been able to do alot of the rigging myself so far and would hate to pay extra to have someone do something I can do myself. Anyone installed their own motor in the 30-50HP size range? Would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

I would think this is a job that you can do yourself. If your motor is new, the owner's manual should have some instructions in it for rigging. If it's older, you should go get the service manual for it. Here's a site that you might want to check, do a search in the boat rebuilding and restoration page:
    http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, installing your motor is a very simple job. Bolt the motor to your transom, make sure you can get the steering cable hooked up with the motor
    bolted to the boat, if not hook it before putting the bolts in. After that, hook
    the main wiring harness coming from the control box to the harness on the
    engine. You should have a groung wire going from the battery to the engine
    block and a hot wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. These wires
    should be a minimum of 10 gauge wire. That should take care of all fire and
    ignition to the engine. Next hook up the throttle and gear shift cable. Make
    sure they have just a little free play after they are mounted to the holders
    on the engine. Then hook up the fuel line and be sure everything works properly with the engine running. Forward and reverse gears and the throttle
    should all work withe the engine attached to water hose.

Hope this hepls,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default another good info site.

I have gone here several times with questions and received alot of good information. Good luck, you can do it!!

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default installing motor

There are other things to do also when installing the motor. Main thing is before you bolt the motor down make sure your cavitation plate is level or even with the bottom of your boat. you may have to jack the motor up some to get this right but if it aint right your new motor wont perform like it should the rest of it is simple. The cavitation plate is the flat plate above the Prop. To low will slow it down and maybe not plane to high and you will run out of water. If you have to jack it up a piece of alum stock or a cut piece of wood should do to rest it on while you bolt the motor down. I have seen motors 2 inches off the transom with nothing under it and I have seen motors jacked up with a piece of wood. I also have a piece of wood under mine and it works just fine. Hope this helps. Terry

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dittos on Drift Wood's comments. The position of the cavitation plate is important.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree with Boat49, Doc is good at helping you out, it’s free advice board. He even has a pay to use tech line, details on the board.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

I read on another forum that the warranty on a new motor would not be activated if it is not installed by a factory trained technician. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this?

Also does anyone happen to know if the new Mercury 4-stroke has the same bolting pattern as an earlier ('88) Mercury 2-stroke? Could I be so lucky?

Thanks again.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Never knew that about the cavitation plate. Guess I should check mine out. I installed my 50hp by myself and had never done one before. DO insert steering cable prior to lowering the motor on the transom. Wife/girlfriend/kids can do this while you are holding the motor in position, ready to drop. I had mine sealed and bolted on, and couldn't get the steering cable in position and had to unbolt it and raise it back up, while wife fed cable through. Eat your Wheaties before hand too!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the motor is mounted and nearly completely rigged in half of a day. Definitely a DIY job! The old holes matched up perfectly. That was very nice.
    Thanks for all the advice. themarinedoctor.com was a big help. Great tip there.
    Feel real good about doing it myself and saved a little $$$ in the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast