Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fiberglass boat

I'm looking at getting a fiberglass boat, my question is do you put transducers and other accessories on like you would on an aluminum boat? I'm talking about drilling, doesn't seem right. I usually do this myself. Am I gonna need the dealer to put everything on for me?

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Have my transducer in the bilge (3M-5200), works great.........
    Use GPS for speed......
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

... you'll be lots happier with aluminium!!!:D
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-08-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: inappropriate comment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post

Whats wrong with fiberglass?
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-08-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: quote removal

Post Thanks / Like

I went from a aluminium to glass, no way that I'd go back!!:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dvuks View Post
    Whats wrong with fiberglass?
    Nothing... if you want to be "pretty".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post

I upgraded from aluminum to fiberglass last year and won't go back. It's heavier and has a lower profile so I have very little problem fishing on windy days that would probably keep Einstein here sitting at the house. As a result I get more time on the water in a better boat. Almost forgot, it's quieter too.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-08-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: instigating remarks removed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dvuks View Post
    I'm looking at getting a fiberglass boat, my question is do you put transducers and other accessories on like you would on an aluminum boat? I'm talking about drilling, doesn't seem right. I usually do this myself. Am I gonna need the dealer to put everything on for me?

Dennis
    The simple answer is, "the same way", the complex answer is, it depends.

Transducers are mounted to the transom with S/S screws or bolts. Through bolting is the strongest, but sheet metal type screws work well. The thing you must do with any hole in fiberglass to prevent damage is to countersink the top of the hole before inserting your fastener and to use a good caulking around the threads and shaft of the screw to seal it well. Some use silicone, but I prefer a polyurethane, or polysulfide caulking, like 3M 5200.

What I mean by "countersinking" the hole is simple. If you drill a 1/8" hole to put a screw in, take a slightly larger bit, like a 3/16" and bore the top 1/16 or less of the hole. This tapers the hole entrance and keeps the hole from "spidering", or cracking. This is when you get fine lines radiating out from the hole.

If you install something by through bolting, its important to use a backing plate. This can be a piece of plywood.

Check out the West Marine web site and look at their West Systems Epoxy products. They are great for sealing up wood used in a marine environment. When installing blind screws (such as sheet metal screws) West recommends that you over drill and fill the hole with epoxy. Let it dry then drill the proper hole size for your fastener. The epoxy is supposed to be much stronger than the fiberglass its attached to and will have a much higher pull out strength.

I love my fiberglass boat. Its quiet quiet quiet on the water, even in a little chop. The bad part is that it needs a bit more maintenance from time to time.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

To install a transducer in a fiberglass boat, the best way is to silicone a THRU Hull transducer. You dont really have to use epoxy. Get the one without a temp probe. It is a little cheaper and your temp readings wont be accurate thru the hull anyway. Just clean an area in the bilge, off to one side of the keel next to the transom, squeeze a wad of silicone and slowly press the ducer all the way down and set a brick on it for 24 hours.
    Aluminum or glass, it all depends on the water you will be using the boat on. Very shallow stump filled water go aluminum. Open water go glass, your back and teeth will thank you for the choice.

Post Thanks / Like

GCD,
    If he will mainly be using the boat on Indiana reservoirs he will need a glass boat. Our waters are small compared to your water. 2&3 foot chop is a normal day on the water here on weekends. If its not the waves coming at you its the waves coming back off the shore. Too many ski boats and jet ski's. As for fishing pressure, in bass tournaments we will see every competitor at least once during the day, if not several times. It just comes down to the un-written rule of respecting another mans water and treat others as you would like to be treated.
    If he will be using the boat on small natural lakes, the aluminum would be the way to go. Alot cheaper to purchase,pull and operate. It can be dangerous fishing up here. You really have to keep your eyes open.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast