PDA

View Full Version : How does a livewell work?

Flatwater
03-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I have one in my boat and never used it. So I turned it on, it filled up, extra water went down and out the over flow. Now, how do I get the water out of it. This is a Tracker panfish 16. I have a bilge switch, an aerater switch, lights. There is no plug to pull to let water out. I am perplexed.

GCD
03-07-2010, 06:36 PM
The white overflow tube will pull out letting all of the water out.

gabulldog
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
om once you take boat out of the lake water should run out unless theres a back flow on it

Fisherman_Wantabe
03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I have one in my boat and never used it. So I turned it on, it filled up, extra water went down and out the over flow. Now, how do I get the water out of it. This is a Tracker panfish 16. I have a bilge switch, an aerater switch, lights. There is no plug to pull to let water out. I am perplexed.

My tracker live wells have plugs in the bottom of them, they will not hold water with out them. Your may have the snap in plugs too, their black with a pull tab on them.

GCD
03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
On my Tracker, the overflow tube pulls straight up and out to let the water out. If your overflow tube has a black rubber grommet at the bottom it is the same. You can reinsert the overflow tube back in the hole when all the water has drained.

ausable riverboat
03-07-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a Tracker Pro Crappie 175 and the overflow is screwed in just unscrew the overflow to drain the livewell

GCD
03-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Let us know which method works!... you can always use a siphon hose or a Shop Vac yanno.:)

Fisherman_Wantabe
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
The white overflow tube will pull out letting all of the water out.

Mine will empty also this way with the pump running. But when out of the water pulling the plugs is easier to me.

Flatwater
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
It is a 1989 and it does have the black corrogated tube which is the overflow. I will tug on it and then try to unscew it and I hope it comes out. If it does, problem solved. You are very helpfull, thanks!!

If I put fish in it I assume it will need to be flushed with clorox to get rid of the fishy odors. Or do you just let it dry? (I have always used a stringer for fish and when it is time to go I put them in the cooler.)

Eager Beaver
03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
That is a very poor design for the livewells. You turn the switch on to fill the livewell and then shut it off when full. when you start putting fish in it you have to run the livewell every so often to keep air in the livewell. If you don't keep turning the livewell on for a short time the fish will die in it from lack of oxygen. This was the way mine was when it was new. I orderd an automatic livewell switch from Bass Pro and replaced the old livewell switch with the auto switch and can change how long the livewell runs now, before it shuts off automatically. Then in about 10 minutes it will run again for a certain amount of time. EB

Eager Beaver
03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
It is a 1989 and it does have the black corrogated tube which is the overflow. I will tug on it and then try to unscew it and I hope it comes out. If it does, problem solved. You are very helpfull, thanks!!

If I put fish in it I assume it will need to be flushed with clorox to get rid of the fishy odors. Or do you just let it dry? (I have always used a stringer for fish and when it is time to go I put them in the cooler.)

I just empty mine out and take a hose and flush it out and then stick the hose down the drain hole to make sure it is clear and open. Then I use a sponge and dry mine out. I open all the compartment doors and then put the cover on it. It is good to go the next time I go fishing. EB

GCD
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Never Ever use detergents to clean your livewell!!!

Either let it dry, or if that isn't good enough, use baking soda to clean it.

Never let fish die and float "belly up" in your livewell, if one goes "belly up", put it on ice in the cooler immediatly!

The only thing I ever do to clean my livewell is to hose it out with the garden hose and sprayer nozzle.

FroggerZack
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a 2002 model and it has threads on the over flow tube so try to unscrew before tugging on it and possible damaging the tube. Just rinse and dry before storage and put something in between the live well top/door to allow air to flow when covered. I usually us the throw cushion.

CrappieKillerJigs
03-07-2010, 09:33 PM
i have a 06 and mine just pulls out...tracker changes stuff like we change under wear

Bo Bryant
03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Older panfish specials had the black overlfow tubing that you pulled up. The water would then go out. I had one of those. Not sure about the new ones. My Tracker 178 has a plug you can pull.

Bo Bryant

fishinRod
03-08-2010, 05:59 AM

DO NOT PUT CLOROX IN YOUR LIVEWELL!!!!!!! flush it out with fresh water or just let it dry

Wiskers
03-08-2010, 08:05 AM
That style live well system is dangerous! I had a boat like that once & had a big mess of cappie & bluegill in the live well. While I was fish'n a fish got stuck on top of the pipe and blocked it. The pump was running & when I looked back my darn boat was full of water! :eek: I mean FULL!!! Darn near sunk my boat.

Scared the crap outa me! You couldn't have drove a thumb tac in my butt with a wreck'n ball! :D

Flatwater
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Ok at first I thought the previous owner had glued the pipe in, but I got it free, so I spin and spin, no threads, I just pull it off a 2 inch aluminum pipe nipple. so I guess I can only drain it down to about 2" then I can bail some out and then sponge whats left, and just hose it out, leave it open to dry.

Another quick question, I saw an Attwood A500 aerator pump on clearance rack for $5. So I got it. It can be connected 3 ways. One is to pump from the livewell right back into the live well as a recirculation device. Will this keep the oxygen level up enough to keep fish alive?

callshy
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok at first I thought the previous owner had glued the pipe in, but I got it free, so I spin and spin, no threads, I just pull it off a 2 inch aluminum pipe nipple. so I guess I can only drain it down to about 2" then I can bail some out and then sponge whats left, and just hose it out, leave it open to dry.

Another quick question, I saw an Attwood A500 aerator pump on clearance rack for $5. So I got it. It can be connected 3 ways. One is to pump from the livewell right back into the live well as a recirculation device. Will this keep the oxygen level up enough to keep fish alive?

As long as you do not pack too many fish in there. Try to get it where the water will fall through the air before falling into the livewell water. Also, get a bottle of keep-alive ar rejuvenade and you should be fine. I recirc my water in the summer months instead of bringing in new water.

Hattiesburger
03-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Recirculation will help to keep oxygen content in the livewell water up to level high enough to keep fish alive. However, it can be very tricky and is dependent on several variables. The primary consideration is how much volume does the well have and more importantly how much surface area does it have. Surface area is important because the larger the surface area, I'm talking about how much of the water comes in contact with the atmosphere, the more exchange occurs with oxygen. It helps when recirculating to allow at some point for the water to splash against the sides or spray up into the air to invigorate the fluid as much as possible. This allows for more oxygen transfer into the water. The other big factor for keeping fish alive in a well is temperature. Cool water holds oxygen better and makes for more efficient breathing by the fish so keep the well closed and block the sun from warming it if possible. I've even added ice to my well to help keep the fish alive. Of course the more fish you put into it the harder it will be to keep oxygen in the water. In summary, it is difficult at times to keep fish alive in a well. I mostly use them for bait but if I do use mine for fish I try to ice the ones I will definitely keep and recirculate with fresh water being added regularly.

sothunfried
03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
unscrew the white over flow tube

GCD
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Your overflow tube should pull out flush with the bottom of the livewell.

Can you take some pics of this contraption and post them for us?

If need be, I can take some pics of mine and show you the way it should be.

STUMP HUNTER
03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I drilled a few holes in my over flow 1/2'' down from the top and don't have any trouble with it overflowing now. If a fish gets on top of the pipe it can still drain.

Fisherman_Wantabe
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM

You should not have to bail, it should drain. You need to post some pics.

fishinRod
03-09-2010, 06:15 AM
That style live well system is dangerous! I had a boat like that once & had a big mess of cappie & bluegill in the live well. While I was fish'n a fish got stuck on top of the pipe and blocked it. The pump was running & when I looked back my darn boat was full of water! :eek: I mean FULL!!! Darn near sunk my boat.

Scared the crap outa me! You couldn't have drove a thumb tac in my butt with a wreck'n ball! :D

actually the style of well we're talking about here is a baitwell, you're suppose toput your minnows in it and your fish in an ice chest

yankee doodler
03-09-2010, 07:09 AM
That is a very poor design for the livewells. You turn the switch on to fill the livewell and then shut it off when full. when you start putting fish in it you have to run the livewell every so often to keep air in the livewell. If you don't keep turning the livewell on for a short time the fish will die in it from lack of oxygen. This was the way mine was when it was new. I orderd an automatic livewell switch from Bass Pro and replaced the old livewell switch with the auto switch and can change how long the livewell runs now, before it shuts off automatically. Then in about 10 minutes it will run again for a certain amount of time. EB

My 2002 Tracker Pro Series 175 XT has a manual and auto position on the switch. In auto it turns on every 5 mins. or so. It also has an auto and empty switch mounted on the side wall of the cockpit that will allow you to drain it. I have a short screen assembly that fits into the drain hole instead of the overflow tube. The overflow is integral to the tank.