Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: amateur

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default amateur

Am getting the feeling, that most of you compete in tournaments. For me, it is just a hobby and a way of having some good tasting fish to eat. But it is great to share with others.
    Here in western Pennsylvania, on Shenango Dam, Pymayuming Lake, and Lake Wilhelm are all some good fishing waters. Myself mainly fish Shenango Dam, and it holds the state record with a crappie 21 inches long. I heard that a man seen on his screen some that he bets are 24 inches plus, but he couldn't get them to bite. Just cause we see them, doesn't mean they bite, but heard he was really upset.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Actually -

I believe "most" of the members are not "tournament" anglers ... but are just enthusiastic Crappie anglers, looking for an edge. Even though I fish two tournaments a year ... I don't really consider myself so much a "tournament" angler, as just a Crappie angler that enjoys a little friendly competition and the company of like minded sportspersons. That's the whole basis and backbone of the tournaments we put on at Watts Bar Lake ... no entry fee/no money payout - just "braggin rights" and a prize package of assorted products from our Sponsors.

One of the biggest misnomers of sonar units - is calling them "fish finders". They don't "find" anything - they just simply show an electronic rendering of signal noise being bounced off underwater objects. Sometimes the "echo" signal may actually be a fish, and at times may simply be an air bubble or limb or other submerged debris. Even the higher end units can't determine a fish from debris ... much less identify species. They can pick up the echo signal of the unit's signal bouncing off a fish's air bladder ... and technically the bigger air bladder should represent a bigger fish - but it still isn't going to tell the user whether it's a Catfish, Bass, Crappie, Pike, or a suspended piece of plastic with an air bubble trapped in it ... !! They don't make a unit that pops up a window that says "2lb Crappie at 16ft" ... :rolleyes: You have to use your collective knowledge of habit and habitat, added to the "picture" portrayed on the screen, to determine if the "fish" you're seeing there ... are the species you're after. Even then, it's a guessing game.

Leave the gentleman with his "pipe dreams" and concentrate on using your sonar unit to establish depth, and find structure and cover ... and use your "bait" as the "fish finder" ...............luck2ya .............cp

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey CP

My comment about the fish 24 inches. The guy who seen them was using an under water camera. So am assuming that either he saw them, or its like taking pictures, and either they flatter or lie, lol. Keth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S10CHEVY
    Hey CP

My comment about the fish 24 inches. The guy who seen them was using an under water camera. So am assuming that either he saw them, or its like taking pictures, and either they flatter or lie, lol. Keth

My dad had a plack on his wall in the den. It reads as follows:

"All fishermen are liars except for your and me, and sometimes I doubt you."

I have a plack in my room that reads as follows:

"Hunters, Fishermen and other liars gather here"

And the best one I have is hanging in my den reads as follows:

"Even a fish would not get into trouble if he keeps his mouth shut"

And finally one more that reads as follows:

GET STARTED EARLY,
    BE THERE AT SUNRISE.
    THEN-CATCH BIG FISH,
    OR, TELL BIG LIES...

All in good fun guys. Do any of you all have any other favorite sayings that you would like to share with us? I enjoy seeing these type of signs in the stores.
    Regards,

Moose1am