Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tenn Hillbilly has a Question

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tenn Hillbilly has a Question

Coming up to mushroom hunt with kinfolks sometime in May. My relation lives close to Grinnell. Where is the best place close to there to Crappie fish. thanks if any you guys come to Tenn I will return the favor.

Post Thanks / Like

By far the answer is Rathbun lake. It's about 2 hrs south of Grinnell. Big crappie and May is the time to be there as the spawn is usually mid-May. Big crappie 14"+ are in there and it's not too hard to get 'em.

If you're looking for something closer, Red Rock is only an hour south and it's a good crappie lake too. just not the size and sheer #'s that Rathbun has. Both are big lakes so be careful with the waves. If you don't have a boat, the dam's of both lakes can be fun too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenncrappie View Post
    Coming up to mushroom hunt with kinfolks sometime in May. My relation lives close to Grinnell. Where is the best place close to there to Crappie fish. thanks if any you guys come to Tenn I will return the favor.
    I'd say Red Rock has the biggest crappies to offer but not the #'s. Rathbun is a good choice but you'll have to do some sorting. There's another good crappie lake that dumps into Red Rock called Roberts Creek. Lake Miami is a small lake with some good fish and it's not that far South of there. Lake Rock Creek is fairly close as well to the North. It has #'s but lacks on the large size crappies.

Hope this helps.
    Lee
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

lebruce, really on Red Rock you think there are bigger crappie? I don't fish the Rock very often but may start if that's the case. Any pointers on where to start on the rock? It's an hour closer than Rathbun for me so I'd give it a try...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Red Rock is the place to go if your after big ones meaning a chance at sevral over 2 lbs. which you can catch at Rathbun but it's rare. I have never faired well there thou, but I do know people that have.