Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all wiring experts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling all wiring experts

I keep blowing the trailer tow fuse in mt 2009 dodge pickup. Its very frustrating. The trailer is about a year old. I change the fuse...and plug light in and they work fine in the gargage. Then on the road the fuse blows and sometimes the back left trailer light blows out so bad the bulb explodes when I check the damage. I can let it run standing still in the garage and everything is fine...but on the road she blows out. I always unplug before i back into water too. What the heck is going on???

Post Thanks / Like

if it was me id trace down the wires and see if you can find the prob....i had the same problem...i said heck with it and rewired mine. and put the submercible light in mine...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like there is a wire that has rubbed the insulation off somewhere from front to back. Check them real good for any bare wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Do your lights have the sealed housings? Is the failure happening after the trailer has been in the water?

Post Thanks / Like

Had a problem similar to this one a few years back. I wound up finding a wire with the insulation rubbed through (between the spare tire and the frame).
    Everything would be fine until I hit a bump and the spare tire would short the wire against the frame.
    I have never seen a shorted wire pop a bulb though. Sounds like water may be getting to the bulb when it is hot.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You need submersibles anyway, but the problem is probably a bad spot of insulation. The little spring clips that come with the kits were my problem when I had issues. Salt water didn't help either.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

look where your harness goes into the frame on the hitch, good place to start.
    SHUTUPANDFISH!!! SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION, MUST HAVE BEEN A GATOR OR LONGHORN FAN. ROLL AGAIN TIDE. HOOAH!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem with a brand new boat/trailer last year. After many long nights trying to fix the problem, I finally put sealed LED lights on the trailer and ran a ground wire to each light on the trailer instead of using the trailer as ground. I've had no problems since. I still don't know if it was the lights or the ground, but doing both is your best bet.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Exploding bulb makes me think that the hot bulb is coming in contact with water and breaking.

I think its time to rewire. The time you spend chasing this problem can easily equal the time it takes to put new wires and taillight set on the trailer.

How many wires do you have in the harness on the trailer? Four, five, more? What colors are they? This will help us find you a wiring diagram to follow.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate trailer wiring. 30 minute jobs easily turns into all day.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast