Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish Bait At Reelfoot Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish Bait At Reelfoot Lake

Just wondering if anyone knows what the commercial catfisherman
    use for bait on reelfoot lake? I've been told it is walmart dogfood,
    but i can't get any of it to stay on a hook. I would appreciate any info
    you guys might have. My son, grandson, and I catch a bunch of fish
    on jugs and nightcrawlers at reelfoot in the spring, but it gets expensive.
    I've tried other baits but nothing works as well as expensive nightcrawlers.
    I'm looking for an alternative. We make our own "jugs" out of kids swimming
    noodles, and they work great. Walmart sells the completed fishing "noodle" but you can make them yourself a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the help
    Chef

Post Thanks / Like

Default cocktail sausage

I have had very good sucess with those small cocktail sausage cut in 4 pieces when I jug fish. Cheapest way I know to go. You can add your favorite juice if you like.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think that cutting up buffalo fish is chunks and using it is one of the best baits for juglining it is fairly tough to get off the hook and you can catch multiple fish before changing most usually

Post Thanks / Like

We were at Reelfoot last may and got blown off the lake for 2 days, crappie fishin. The second afternoon we went to the store got some hot dogs and cod liver oil. Cut up the dogs in 1 inch pieces and dumped them in a can with the oil. We just tight lined with them off the dock but it ought to work juggin.6 of us caught 37 channels and blues that afternoon, most were 3 to 8 lbs. Also Chef, I've got 25 of those homemade noodles I just rigged up a few weeks ago. Can't wait to try them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hotdogs will work srimp will too
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Chef, one thing I used to do when I catfished off the bank. If I was using soft baits...that is hard baits to stay on the hook. I would buy a womans panty hose and cut off enough to wrap bait in and tie it together. Works real well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard about alot of people using shad guts. Use a cast net to catch small shad(3"-4"), cut off head and tail put the rest on a hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Chef,
    I great site I belong to for info like that is
    www.catfish1.com
    There is a state by state posting which you can read without having to register.
    Mods,sorry if posting another site is a no-no,but its no in direct competition,Cook

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Chef ...

sounds like you need a flashlight, red lense cover (optional), bucket of shredded newspaper & leaves, and a soaking rain (during the day) followed by a warm night ...... then go nightcrawler hunting !! :D Beats the heck out of paying for them !!

Chunks of Shad are good, too. I've caught many a good eater Channel Cat on them (cut or whole - as long as they're fresh).
    If it's allowed - catch some small Bluegill, and use them (if you can't get Shad) ... cut in strips or chunks, or just whole (with a few knife wounds).

If you have a creek close by, and a seine ... get you some creek minners, crawdads, or any of the other "non-gamefish" species that are legal to use for bait.

Give'em a smorgasboard of smells and tastes ........ luck2ya ....cp

stang93 Guest

I have never been to reelfoot, but I always use whole milker hering (you can get it at local fish market) or whole shad or cut shad. You will catch the big one's using this stuff!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast